Page updated on 11-18-2017

Proposal for HRM: 18" BBS RS, staggered

zak78
05-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Harold Bradford of Historic Racing Miniatures and I were talking about him producing a few sets of these for me, and I mentioned that more than a few people would likely buy them for his usual price of $10.

The RS hasn't been sold in that size in 1:24 to my knowledge.

If he makes them, are you interested? Remember, this is nothing official. I'm a guy in the club with the man who is willing to make the product. We're going to talk more about it a week from today (Saturday). We didn't talk about single-piece vs. two-piece. There was a lot of me saying, "You'll do this, REALLY? SWEEEET.":lol2:

Nick

tonioseven
05-12-2013, 01:01 AM
I'd like two sets.

viperofoz
05-12-2013, 02:50 AM
Sure, I'd be interested.

A nicely done set of BBS's and the right stance can make ANY car look good.

Hobby Design has a nice looking set in 17" but I'm sure HRM's quality and consistancy would be even better and I'd rather have them in 18".

http://www.hobbyeasy.com/upload/suppliers/HOBBY1234/HD03-0189.jpg

Regards, Dan

ChristopheB
05-12-2013, 10:19 AM
I would be interested for two sets as well.

seanyb505
05-12-2013, 10:53 AM
I would be in for several.

zak78
05-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Thanks guys :) I'm anxious to get the project underway this weekend. We need to talk production numbers and the money required to get there. After a set is finished and I can show you in detail, I'll set up a waiting list here (provided he allows me). I'm going to encourage him to set up an eBay store to sell directly.

accord2k2
05-12-2013, 01:11 PM
I would love to pick up at least 5 set.... love bbs'!

ataschner
05-12-2013, 06:37 PM
Me too... Im in!

MidMazar
05-13-2013, 09:26 AM
What about some rgrs!! :lol:

Hemi Killer
05-13-2013, 12:54 PM
I have been on waiting list for a GT40 engine for over a year, I'd like it if we could get the parts they already advertise.

zak78
05-13-2013, 02:46 PM
I have been on waiting list for a GT40 engine for over a year, I'd like it if we could get the parts they already advertise.

What waiting list are you on? Is it through a specific vendor? I think he was selling those GT40 engines at the NNL. Unless I'm mistaken, there were several of them. I know I was staring at a built version for about ten minutes. If you PM me your name and contact info I'll talk to him about it on Saturday. I could call him but I'd rather do it face-to-face. Besides, he may have the part on hand that I can pick up and ship to you. Please let me know so I can help make this right.

Nick

zak78
05-13-2013, 02:49 PM
What about some rgrs!! :lol:

:D RGRs indeed! That would keep us out of possible copyright infringement territory as well. One thing at a time though...gotta stay focused in case this plan requires, um, motivation.

sbvwfanatic
05-17-2013, 12:06 PM
I'd be in for @ least 2 sets.

zak78
05-21-2013, 12:09 AM
The centers will be the same as the HD BBS 17", and are being cast at the moment. The wheels will be 2-piece. I'm kicking around different ideas for widths and will let you know when we figure out just how big they're going to be :)

Brad (Harold Bradley) is not a fan of online...anything, and I don't think he's going to really understand the demand until he sees it for himself. That said, production numbers are still an unknown at this point. I figure that number will be limited because we're using someone else's design as the starting point, even though the dishes will be different.

John18d
05-21-2013, 09:43 AM
I'm in for 2 sets at least
Where and when do I place the order
John

zak78
05-21-2013, 11:20 AM
[I'm in for 2 sets at least
Where and when do I place the order
John

No definite sales date yet; keep checking this thread and you'll know. I should be able to tell you where we're going to sell them, and when they'll be available, by June 15th. I'd like to sell directly to you through PayPal, after setting up a waiting list here. Normally he sells to Strada Sports, but I'm going to try to convince him otherwise. Strada is a good operation but I'd rather not deal with a middleman.

The product is not done yet. You'll get a prototype photo in this thread within the week. Also within the week, I aim to deliver said prototypes to Brad for him to cast. I'm not sure whether or not he'll get on that right away. That's up to him. The 15th is the date of our next meeting, and the day he said he'll have the duplicates ready.

Stay tuned :)

Nick

tonioseven
05-21-2013, 11:06 PM
Sounds like a good plan; hopefully I won't have to go through Strada Sports. I will no longer deal with them.

VTEC-DA9
05-21-2013, 11:49 PM
I'm in for 2 sets

Hemi Killer
05-25-2013, 07:05 PM

I have been busy and haven't been able to check until now. I should point out that I was on a waiting list from one of HRM's vendors, not HRM themselves. I didn't want to imply any undeserved negativity towards HRM.

Hemi Killer
05-25-2013, 07:09 PM
Would these wheels be able to be modified for different offsets? I have never used resin wheels before. These look like what I would need for my Mustang GTO, but with a deeper dish.

zak78
05-27-2013, 02:20 AM
Would these wheels be able to be modified for different offsets? I have never used resin wheels before. These look like what I would need for my Mustang GTO, but with a deeper dish.

Sorry about the delayed response. As far as modifying the wheels: You'd have to cut off the lips and add more plastic to make them wider. They'll come in approx. 8.5"x18 and 9"x18. For a Mustang GTO you'd need centerlock BBS racing wheels rather than these, which are five-lug street wheels. You can find them in Tamiya's Porsche 935 kit.

Edit: Oops, I just realized, that since we don't have a detachable hub, you can't tell there would be any lugs. Lol I need to wake up.

Wheels are still in progress. Pics soon to come...

lovegt40
05-27-2013, 04:46 AM
any idea of she shipping cost to old europe? they are quite small...maybe little envelope. I like theme

zak78
05-27-2013, 09:08 AM
any idea of she shipping cost to old europe? they are quite small...maybe little envelope. I like theme

The last time I sent a set of wheels to the EU it cost about 4 but that was a couple of years ago.

I'm still working on prototypes but should have a pic of the rear wheels as soon as the dehydrator is done drying the primer....

zak78
05-27-2013, 09:26 AM
http://i42.tinypic.com/idaseg.jpg

Protoype for the rear. Let me know if you need to see it in Alclad, or if the lack of stepped outer lips really bugs you. I haven't made up my mind on that one yet. As you can see I grafted to the existing dish, to prevent the look of "a lip with a lip stacked on top of it."

Flaws visible here will not be on the finished product, don't worry. All you'll have to deal with is a little bit of flash to be removed from the center. Edit: Don't worry about the three broken bolts; I'll fix that...

Nick

Hemi Killer
05-28-2013, 04:18 PM
Sorry about the delayed response. As far as modifying the wheels: You'd have to cut off the lips and add more plastic to make them wider. They'll come in approx. 8.5"x18 and 9"x18. For a Mustang GTO you'd need centerlock BBS racing wheels rather than these, which are five-lug street wheels. You can find them in Tamiya's Porsche 935 kit.

Edit: Oops, I just realized, that since we don't have a detachable hub, you can't tell there would be any lugs. Lol I need to wake up.

Wheels are still in progress. Pics soon to come...

I don't mind cutting and adding a little width to the wheels, I'm more concerned with the lip and center. The GTO kit wheels are solid, I like these since they are cut out like the real thing.

The 935 wheels have a conical shape to them that might look weird on the GTO

thanks for the info. I may get a couple of these sets to play with. I have a few cars they can be used for. Maybe a Trans Am 64 GTO or something/

zak78
05-28-2013, 08:15 PM
Project is running smoothly.

Meeting up Thursday at noon for me to pass him the rear wheels for a first production run. He has the centers ready. Figure as long as nothing catastrophic happens, I should have production wheels to show you on June 15.

As far as availability goes, that's what's still to be determined. Harold Bradford goes at his own pace, and sells it as he goes. I'll try to have some estimates posted for you on Thursday evening. I get the feeling I'll be buying ten sets off him at a time or something, then selling them to you for the same price and just breaking even. Which is okay with me :)

Nick

MidMazar
05-28-2013, 10:22 PM
Im in for a set for sure. Maybe 2.

seanyb505
05-29-2013, 07:05 AM
If we're still talking $10 a set I'll be in for one set initially just make sure others can get some before I go back for seconds :)

zak78
05-29-2013, 08:03 AM
If we're still talking $10 a set I'll be in for one set initially just make sure others can get some before I go back for seconds :)

I'm thinking of limiting initial sales to two sets per household, just to make sure that one greedy fella (and I mean that in the nicest way fellas :biggrin:) doesn't buy the whole stock at once. I say this because I am a greedy man myself and would certainly buy 10 sets at a time for $10 a pop :p.

If there's a problem here, it will be motivating him to meet demand with his supply. He has more than enough to keep himself busy for years to come as it is. My argument will be, "You're always giving back to the hobby community. Stop and make some money for once. And by that I mean give me 50 sets to sell ASAP :iceslolan."

ChristopheB
05-29-2013, 11:24 PM
I confirm that i am still in for 2 sets. Thank you for the offering.

zak78
05-31-2013, 08:03 AM
Update:

As of the discussion I just had with Harold Bradford, every customer will be able to have as many sets as they want, and you'll be able to buy directly from him, through Paypal. I will not be part of the equation. I will be letting you know when he's ready to sell, however. He doesn't want to receive payments in advance. I'll make sure you know as soon as he's ready for your orders :)

MidMazar
05-31-2013, 03:01 PM
just to make sure that one greedy fella (and I mean that in the nicest way fellas :biggrin:) doesn't buy the whole stock at once. "

This happens more then you think. I hate those guys, although i can also relate being one myself in the past.

zak78
05-31-2013, 03:15 PM
This happens more then you think. I hate those guys, although i can also relate being one myself in the past.

I've noticed, especially on HLJ, when a freshly-reissued Aoshima set sells out within 24 hours of the pre-order :sly:. I think it takes a while to get a sense of community and reach the conclusion that it's better to let others enjoy the cool shit too, rather than hoarding a dozen examples when you'll only ever use three.

sbvwfanatic
06-02-2013, 03:56 AM
http://i42.tinypic.com/idaseg.jpg

Protoype for the rear. Let me know if you need to see it in Alclad, or if the lack of stepped outer lips really bugs you. I haven't made up my mind on that one yet. As you can see I grafted to the existing dish, to prevent the look of "a lip with a lip stacked on top of it."

Flaws visible here will not be on the finished product, don't worry. All you'll have to deal with is a little bit of flash to be removed from the center. Edit: Don't worry about the three broken bolts; I'll fix that...

Nick

Nice! Those look great. I can't wait. 2 sets for me please.

zak78
06-11-2013, 03:46 AM
Announcement: You can now order from Mr. Bradford directly: historicracingminiatures@comcast.net. He wanted me to pass on that "It won't be next-day shipment; since I'm still making them, it will take a little while, but I'll get all the orders filled." He is accepting PayPal but you'll need to ask him for a price quote including shipping. Wheel price is still $10 a set.

Here's his phone number: (301) 604-8591

Here's my prototype front dish setting next to the resin rear dish, in white. The difference in dish depth is about 1.5" in scale.

Nick

http://i44.tinypic.com/339nmtl.jpg

Front

http://i39.tinypic.com/2mrxqog.jpg

Rear

http://i41.tinypic.com/ncegyt.jpg

sbvwfanatic
06-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Wow. Very nice. What timing. I was just emailing a link of this to a fellow builder asking about BBS RSs. Time to transfer some $$ to my paypal acct.

tonioseven
06-11-2013, 09:01 PM
Awesome, I'll make sure I have money added to my account

ATMDC
06-14-2013, 11:33 PM
Now if I could get a stretched tire for these...

zak78
06-15-2013, 03:50 AM
Now if I could get a stretched tire for these...

That's what we're working on next :biggrin:. Stretched, then regular sidewalls. We want to do something different than just an Aoshima copy though. I was thinking maybe Advan treads on the Aoshima shape.

tonioseven
06-16-2013, 01:30 AM
I have several builds that have stalled for the time being due to the lack of stretchwall tires.

sbvwfanatic
06-25-2013, 08:40 PM
I just order 2 sets. Can't wait.

ChristopheB
06-26-2013, 01:23 AM
I just received my two sets and they are great!

I will follow this thread for tires now.

sbvwfanatic
06-26-2013, 03:13 AM
I just received my two sets and they are great!

I will follow this thread for tires now.

Good to hear. I was just wondering the same thing re: tires...

zak78
06-26-2013, 04:30 AM
Good to hear. I was just wondering the same thing re: tires...

I'm still getting Brad (Harold Bradford) used to the idea of stretched tires. What tread pattern would you like to see used? We can get the sidewalls from the usual Aoshima stretchies but I'm not sure where to go from there. I don't want to just copy them entirely when we could do something more interesting.

Help me think of some ideas if ya don't mind :feedback:

ChristopheB
06-26-2013, 10:46 PM
I'm still getting Brad (Harold Bradford) used to the idea of stretched tires. What tread pattern would you like to see used? We can get the sidewalls from the usual Aoshima stretchies but I'm not sure where to go from there. I don't want to just copy them entirely when we could do something more interesting.

If you want to change and because the rims are pretty wide, I would like to see some semi-slick tires with minimal thread (Hankook Ventus Z214 or similar). I do no think we can find too many of those and it would fit the track/road application I envision for those wheels. :wink:

zak78
06-26-2013, 11:51 PM
If you want to change and because the rims are pretty wide, I would like to see some semi-slick tires with minimal thread (Hankook Ventus Z214 or similar). I do no think we can find too many of those and it would fit the track/road application I envision for those wheels. :wink:

I was thinking similarly :) We Auto-X tires always have the most aggressive tread patterns anyway. Neither he nor I want to try to carve our own treads, so we'll be looking for an existing 18" tire to cut up :roll: Do you know of any in production?

sbvwfanatic
06-27-2013, 02:24 AM

I'm a big fan of Toyo TR1s. Also Conti. DWs, and Yokohama Paradas.

ChristopheB
06-29-2013, 09:59 AM
I was thinking similarly :) We Auto-X tires always have the most aggressive tread patterns anyway. Neither he nor I want to try to carve our own treads, so we'll be looking for an existing 18" tire to cut up :roll: Do you know of any in production?

Sorry, I am still a rookie in this hobby and I do not know about any that would be in production.

tonioseven
06-29-2013, 07:44 PM
Hobby Design may have some in production.

Hemi Killer
07-04-2013, 04:33 AM
I sent an email to the address provided in this thread. I haven't received a response yet (4-5 days). I'm assuming he must be busy?

John18d
07-05-2013, 03:39 PM
I sent an email to the address provided in this thread. I haven't received a response yet (4-5 days). I'm assuming he must be busy?

Hemi Killer - I was told by Nick - one of the guys working on the development of the wheels that it is better to call Harold Bradford NOT email him.
I called him July 2 and got the paypal account to send funds to - wheels are $10 per set and shipping is $7
I will PM you the details
hope this helps
John

Hemi Killer - your PM is NOT working - you can email me at gonadical@yahoo.com and I will give you the details
John

Hemi Killer
07-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Hemi Killer - I was told by Nick - one of the guys working on the development of the wheels that it is better to call Harold Bradford NOT email him.
I called him July 2 and got the paypal account to send funds to - wheels are $10 per set and shipping is $7
I will PM you the details
hope this helps
John

Hemi Killer - your PM is NOT working - you can email me at gonadical@yahoo.com and I will give you the details
John

I think the PM's are messed up, I got 3 from you. I replied as well and it gave me a weird message.

He did email me yesterday. I will be placing the order and sending payment via paypal.

Thank you for everyones help

John18d
07-05-2013, 04:01 PM
I think the PM's are messed up, I got 3 from you. I replied as well and it gave me a weird message.

He did email me yesterday. I will be placing the order and sending payment via paypal.

Thank you for everyones help

so you did get a PM from me with the phone number and paypal acc#
I wasn't sure what was going on - maybe there is a problem with the AF PM mode
anyhow if all is good - great - I don't think you'll be disappointed with the wheels
John

sbvwfanatic
07-06-2013, 01:10 AM
Just got my two sets and they are near perfect. (some paper thin flash on the backside of the spokes.) They are actually the cleanest resin cast wheels I've seen. And that's impressive considering the minute detail of the mesh centers. Can't wait to put them to use.

Hemi Killer
07-06-2013, 01:51 AM
so you did get a PM from me with the phone number and paypal acc#
I wasn't sure what was going on - maybe there is a problem with the AF PM mode
anyhow if all is good - great - I don't think you'll be disappointed with the wheels
John

Yes I did. Thank you

zak78
07-09-2013, 06:05 AM
Hobby Design may have some in production.

Yeah, I was thinking of using the center tread area of the Dunlop Direzzas, since the stretched sidewall could just be added to them. The other, more exotic-looking tires couldn't be pieced together, from what I can see.

I think my hesitation comes from having Direzzas on a set of wheels for my 1:1 and hating them lol.

Edit:

Is everyone receiving their wheels in a satisfactory manner?

Nick

sbvwfanatic
07-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Yup. Got them. Beautiful workmanship and I love the size though I am also wondering what to do about tires. I have dozens of sets of extra tires and I thought I'd have no problem finding some that would work but no luck.
I did just receive my order of Allclad II so I hope to get some color on these beauties and post some photos soon. Thanks for posting this Zak and great work by Harold.

Hemi Killer
07-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Mine came today. Nicest resin pieces I have seen. Very clean. I also got the rest of my GT40 engine parts. Instructions are very helpful.

Add your comment to this topic!