Page updated on 11-18-2017

Model Color- Vallejo Paints

Some_Kid
05-10-2013, 01:36 PM
Has anyone tried these paints in an air brush? How are they with just a brush?

I picked a up a bottle of black paint for trim and interior stuff. Im used to using testors acrylics and tamiya acrylics.

Can you use rubbing alcohol to dilute these? What about water?

stevenoble
05-10-2013, 06:38 PM
Has anyone tried these paints in an air brush? How are they with just a brush?

I picked a up a bottle of black paint for trim and interior stuff. Im used to using testors acrylics and tamiya acrylics.

Can you use rubbing alcohol to dilute these? What about water?

There are two types Model Air (airbrush ready) Model Color (brush use) You can thin the Model color with the Vallejo thinner, but I find the Model Air is better for using in an airbrush. The Model Color is great for brush painting, leaving almost no existence of brush strokes at all. I've tried a few thinners with the Model Color, including alcohol and plain water, but the proper Vallejo thinner works the best, hope this helps.

Some_Kid
05-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Thank you for your thorough response. I can't seem to find the air brush type at hobby lobby. But I did try the black paint I bought with a brush and my goodness you are correct. It leaves no brush stroke at all. I will be using these from now on.

Have you tried thinning their brush variety and putting it through an airbrush with any success? I'm going to try a custom mix interior with stuff and see how it turns out.

Lownslow
05-12-2013, 03:04 AM
I use Fantastik to thin Vallejo primers.

Archibaldi
05-12-2013, 08:13 AM
Vallejo Model Air is the best hobby paints I've ever used. They need a smallest air pressure to apply, dry instantly, etc.
Recently get a hint from the Steve Noble MP4/5B thread, and now using them widely - from solid to metallics.

PS
I wouldn't recommend to use an IPA based thinners - they break the paint apart, especially metallics.
You can thin them with tap water, safely.
Heard of a Model Color series to be hardly used with an airbrush - possibly due to the large pigment grains.

stevenoble
05-12-2013, 08:20 AM
The model colour can be thinned but I don't find they airbrush very well for me. They brush brilliantly, but I would say stick with Model Air for airbrush use. They really spray so nicely.

Add your comment to this topic!