Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 Cavalier broken belt

TheRefinersFire
05-07-2013, 09:02 AM
:lol: The belt broke and flew off my 2.2L engine. I can't find the belt. :lol: I didn't realize it right away, then the car stopped shifting past first gear. What's the chance I overheated the transmission? Could it be controlled by the computer, which was not getting enough power or the RPMs shown on the dash?

I feel like a complete dumba$$. I should have known two days prior when the air conditioning stopped working.

Tech II
05-07-2013, 12:19 PM
You never noticed your battery light coming on?

Never noticed the car was overheating on the temp gage?

TheRefinersFire
05-07-2013, 12:40 PM
No. The dash lights stopped working. The temp gauges didn't show any overheating. Then they stopped working. I thought it was a bad ground or the computer. So I turned around and drove home about 30 kilometers (18 miles) @ about 20-30 kph (12-18 mph). The dash went nuts.

rkvons
05-08-2013, 12:13 PM
Is this water pump driven by the timing belt? Would it overheat then?

TheRefinersFire
05-08-2013, 12:40 PM
lol. The water pump is driven by the belt on the engine, yes. The timing is chain driven.

My question more-so pertains to whether the transmission is controlled by the computer, or if a power issue would cause the transmission not to shift properly (for example, if it detects the revs using the RPM gauge on the dash).

Thanks for your reply.

Tech II
05-08-2013, 05:15 PM
I can't see the belt having an effect on shifting.....

Unless, maybe the voltage is borderline, and it's affecting the PCM....or maybe when the belt came off, it caught the harness to the vehicle speed sensor?

Add your comment to this topic!