Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'99 Windstar Burning a Quart Every 1,000 Miles

smata67
05-03-2013, 07:16 AM
The bolt replacement has already been completed, though about 20,000 miles ago. PCV valve looks okay and no oil in the air filter. I have seen where it is recommended to clean out the egr exhaust ports under the valve cover, but is this really the problem? Seems like alot of oil. It is definitely burning it all, as there are no traces of oil leaks, in fact, amazingly, after 130K miles, no oil leaks on this vehicle. I'm due for an emissions inspection soon, will this pick it up?

northern piper
05-03-2013, 08:54 AM
if you haven't already, I'd be sending a sample of your oil to Blackstone labs. They'll give you good info about the general health of you van's motor and likely some leads to why the consumption is on the high side. If when sending in the sample you tell them that it's burning oil they will comment on that specifically. It's like a doctor ordering bloodwork for a person.

Well worth the money and no, I have no connection to the company.

phil-l
05-03-2013, 12:13 PM
The air filter is far ahead of the PCV valve tube, so there wouldn't be oil in the air filter unless there were very serious problems elsewhere.

Is the throttle plate staying clean? Lots of oil there would imply oil coming through the PCV.

As I understand the EGR system, it wouldn't directly contribute to oil consumption. FWIW, I cleaned my EGR ports when I did the isolator bolt fix; my ports had very few deposits on them.

If it isn't a visible leak, the usual suspects for oil consumption are leaking valve stem seals or piston rings. One quart every 1000 miles is pretty high consumption. At 160K+ on my 3.8 '00, I add less than one quart between oil changes (typically ~4-5k miles).

schadd1971
05-09-2013, 09:01 PM
lower intake gaskets....had same problem...sucking oil from push rod area into intake ports....look up lower intakes on the forum.....

schadd1971
05-09-2013, 09:09 PM
look under excessive oil consumption....

Add your comment to this topic!