Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fujimi 1/24 McLaren F1 road car due out Aug 2013

Pages : [1] 2 3

hirofkd
05-02-2013, 08:48 PM
Real Sports Car series No. 66, 4200 yen.
Japanese online store Digitamin began taking pre-order, so I say it's confirmed.
Judging from the noticeable panel lines, the doors must be separate, but the vents appear to be closed, like most of the recent Fujimi offerings. Front wheel arch before the front wheel seems wrong, and I hope it gets corrected in the production version (but probably not...).
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b258/hirofkd/misc/fuj-mclf1_zps78d87b51.jpg

ZoomZoomMX-5
05-02-2013, 09:17 PM
About bloody time!

willimo
05-02-2013, 09:26 PM
As Lykke Li would say, "Dance, dance, dance!"

Best news evar! I would rather fix a $50 Fujimi kit than a $250 resin anything. But it just looks like it's missing pieces right now, and their recent offerings have been pretty darn good so I'm not going to be worried until I see the plastic in the box.

lezdep
05-03-2013, 12:01 AM
About bloody time!
Totally agree. I really hope this is just early 3D CAD rendering, and final
kit will be more accurate. I guess plastic F1-GTR could be next as well.
We're still missing long-tail version. If Aoshima really working on one, they
should release it this year, so to not to be spooked/screwed by Fujimi again.

nascar49
05-03-2013, 01:47 AM
I think I will be pre ordering this one when ever HJL list it

Big Kahuna
05-03-2013, 01:51 AM
Happy Daze!!!!!!!!....;-)

BVC500
05-03-2013, 07:36 AM
and now for the Aoshima announcement!

I also wish for the integrated door mirrors (on the A-pillar).

Veyron
05-03-2013, 08:50 AM
Fujimi, don't make it unless it's correct. Not a another Pantera, please.

lovegt40
05-03-2013, 09:12 AM
really hope they will also make the long tail version...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/942207_570307309668906_256427442_n.jpg

MPWR
05-03-2013, 09:12 AM
Ho- ri- shi---:eek7:

There actually will be another kit I have to buy. Did not think I would ever see this kit made.

It's too much to hope that there will be a decent BMW V12 under that bonnet....

Now pass me some orange paint.

LAMBO-NATION
05-03-2013, 09:36 AM
Thank you Fujimi!
Never too late for this one.
Veyron anyone?...

BVC500
05-03-2013, 09:54 AM
A veyron would be great....think of all of the color combos, and the various versions. Would give the detail-kit manufacturers a lot to work with. I also wouldn't mind seeing a road-version of the MP4-12C spider. BUT, greats news that the manufacturers have now turned their attention to McLaren.

irenearris1
05-03-2013, 09:58 AM
It checks good.http://htcf.info/5.jpg

jano11
05-03-2013, 10:49 AM
Well, it looks like Hiroboy's glitch with the PayPal payment just took a positive turn for me! :)
This is great news.

jano11
05-03-2013, 10:51 AM
It's too much to hope that there will be a decent BMW V12 under that bonnet....

No way, their latest releases didn't have detailed engines. Also the price is more in the curbside ball park.
But maybe Aoshima will make one with engine, like they did with the Aventador.

Also I am fairly sure we will see some aftermarket company release at least a copy of the MFH engine.

stratos75
05-03-2013, 12:06 PM
I'm surprized that these kits are started to produce only this year, after almost 20 years after the McLaren F1 was appeared. Probably, licence cost was very high?

F1Tommy
05-03-2013, 12:30 PM
I'm surprized that these kits are started to produce only this year, after almost 20 years after the McLaren F1 was appeared. Probably, licence cost was very high?

Good to see this is finally being done in plastic. You know they love to duplicate each other, but maybe Mclaren has also come to it's senses when it comes to licence fees.

lezdep
05-03-2013, 01:29 PM
It is such an iconic car and it deserves accurate detailed kit. I hope Fujimi has enough common sense
to not release curbside blob. There are many die-casts of this car, so what would be the point of releasing
engineless, non detailed kit ? I don't think many of us would be interested in such kit.

Price of Y4200 is a bit higher then Y4000 for recently released F12 kit. F12 has some partial engine included,
separate doors and rudimentary suspension. I'm afraid F1 will be similar in design. Price increase could be
just related to licensing cost.

We might have to send a message to Fujimi and not buy a kit, if it is of inferior quality. But let's hope for the best.

If I had contact email for Fujimi and knew they could read English, I would for sure
send them link to this thread and voiced my opinion as loud as I can.

jano11
05-03-2013, 03:09 PM
It is such an iconic car and it deserves accurate detailed kit. I hope Fujimi has enough common sense
to not release curbside blob. There are many die-casts of this car, so what would be the point of releasing
engineless, non detailed kit ? I don't think many of us would be interested in such kit.

Price of Y4200 is a bit higher then Y4000 for recently released F12 kit. F12 has some partial engine included,
separate doors and rudimentary suspension. I'm afraid F1 will be similar in design. Price increase could be
just related to licensing cost.

We might have to send a message to Fujimi and not buy a kit, if it is of inferior quality. But let's hope for the best.

If I had contact email for Fujimi and knew they could read English, I would for sure
send them link to this thread and voiced my opinion as loud as I can.

While I agree with you about the quality of the kit that this car deserves, I have to say that this is much better then nothing, and that's what we had for 20 years. And rest assured aftermarket companies will provide us with the required details.
Who knows maybe MFH will decide to make a detail up kit for this Fujimi kit.

JeremyJon
05-03-2013, 06:59 PM
it's about time, I was going to have to make one otherwise! :D

hirofkd
05-03-2013, 07:36 PM
F12 kit is 4000 yen plus 5% tax, and it includes complete engine details with the lower engine block and exhaust, unlike their Murcielago or Gallardo kits. F12 kit even includes separate doors (although you have to make the hinge yourself) and PE.
But Ferrari is always a hot seller, and it could be strategically priced in the wake of Aoshima's Aventador kit. Fujimi's Reventon has opening doors and PE, but doesn't include engine details, and priced at 5000 yen (plus tax = Y5250).

I almost pre-orderd the McLaren F1, but decided to wait until Hobby Search posts the kit content. There's always a possibility of the Deluxe version, just like F12 which costs 4500 yen (plus tax = Y4725).

License fee could be one thing, but there was a dip in the market strength where kids and young adults stopped buying plastic models (because of video games), and the adults were not ready to fork out 4k, 5k, or even 6k yen for a plastic model. Tamiya's Enzo kit was originally 2800 yen in 2002, and FW24 was 2900 yen in 2003, and Mr. Tamiya was repeatedly quoted by saying the business environment was tough.
Now 4000 yen sports car kit and 5000 yen F1 kit have become a norm, and we see nearly a dozen brand-new tool each year.

So the timing seems right for McLaren F1 kit, and Aoshima will announce its new supercar kit soon, so I hope this is a prelude to a super car showdown between Aoshima Veneno, Fujimi P1 and Tamiya LaFerrari.

nascar49
05-03-2013, 08:50 PM
F12 kit is 4000 yen plus 5% tax, and it includes complete engine details with the lower engine block and exhaust, unlike their Murcielago or Gallardo kits. F12 kit even includes separate doors (although you have to make the hinge yourself) and PE.
But Ferrari is always a hot seller, and it could be strategically priced in the wake of Aoshima's Aventador kit. Fujimi's Reventon has opening doors and PE, but doesn't include engine details, and priced at 5000 yen (plus tax = Y5250).

I almost pre-orderd the McLaren F1, but decided to wait until Hobby Search posts the kit content. There's always a possibility of the Deluxe version, just like F12 which costs 4500 yen (plus tax = Y4725).

License fee could be one thing, but there was a dip in the market strength where kids and young adults stopped buying plastic models (because of video games), and the adults were not ready to fork out 4k, 5k, or even 6k yen for a plastic model. Tamiya's Enzo kit was originally 2800 yen in 2002, and FW24 was 2900 yen in 2003, and Mr. Tamiya was repeatedly quoted by saying the business environment was tough.
Now 4000 yen sports car kit and 5000 yen F1 kit have become a norm, and we see nearly a dozen brand-new tool each year.

So the timing seems right for McLaren F1 kit, and Aoshima will announce its new supercar kit soon, so I hope this is a prelude to a super car showdown between Aoshima Veneno, Fujimi P1 and Tamiya LaFerrari.

I think I am going to wait and see what the kit contents are too before I order one too, and lets hope its not a diecast turned into a plastic kit

Whats with the tax?, unless I am unaware, I never pay tax when I buy kits from Japan

hirofkd
05-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Whats with the tax?, unless I am unaware, I never pay tax when I buy kits from Japan
Current Japanese consumption tax is 5%, and it's included in the MSRP. It used to be exclusive (when the rate was 3%), but now it's inclusive, and soon it will be back to exclusive when the rate will be raised to 8% in April 2014, and 10% and April (?) 2015.

Like many stores at the airport, HLJ "dot com" doesn't charge consumption tax, but HLJ "co jp" does, so I'm guessing they keep two separate books.

nascar49
05-03-2013, 11:36 PM
Current Japanese consumption tax is 5%, and it's included in the MSRP. It used to be exclusive (when the rate was 3%), but now it's inclusive, and soon it will be back to exclusive when the rate will be raised to 8% in April 2014, and 10% and April (?) 2015.

Like many stores at the airport, HLJ "dot com" doesn't charge consumption tax, but HLJ "co jp" does, so I'm guessing they keep two separate books.

If I am understanding what I looked up, Foreign exchange transactions are tax exempt, so that would be why HLJdotcom does not charge tax on the sales as that site is used for selling out side of Japan, while cojp is selling in the country and has to charge to tax

JeremyJon
05-04-2013, 12:06 AM
If I am understanding what I looked up, Foreign exchange transactions are tax exempt, so that would be why HLJdotcom does not charge tax on the sales as that site is used for selling out side of Japan, while cojp is selling in the country and has to charge to tax

that makes sense, same as when you purchase a product from within your own state, then the tax is applied, but outside of the state it isn't necessarily

auw12
05-04-2013, 04:18 AM
I think aoshima will annouce their Mclaren F1 before August, so Fujimi even doesn't have an advantage on time.

JeremyJon
05-04-2013, 04:23 AM
Now looking forward to the rumored Fujimi McLaren P1 and Tamiya LaFerrari, and how long before we see those?

jano11
05-05-2013, 06:20 AM
Good to see this is finally being done in plastic. You know they love to duplicate each other, but maybe Mclaren has also come to it's senses when it comes to licence fees.

It might have something to do with McLaren getting, back, into the street cars business.

ZoomZoomMX-5
05-07-2013, 07:50 AM
As of May 7th, officially on preorder at HLJ and Hobby Search.

Bring on the racing versions next! And how 'bout the F1 GTR homologation special!

And maybe the floodgates will open up a bit to give us street versions of the MP4-12C and the P1.

MPWR
05-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Now looking forward to the rumored Fujimi McLaren P1 and Tamiya LaFerrari, and how long before we see those?

Shouldn't be long now- maybe a decade or two?

drunken monkey
05-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Shouldn't be long now- maybe a decade or two?

Maybe not.
These days, it's easier to make a model as the cars themselves, more so in this case, are CAD designed.
Whereas I can see there being some trouble measuring up a car for tooling 20 years ago, it is much simpler today.

Of course, that ignores any other licensing issues.

stratos75
05-09-2013, 12:06 PM
This is not a kit, but a ready model made from resin.
http://www.looksmartmodels.com/scheda.php?id=849
http://www.looksmartmodels.com/scheda.php?id=853
The most difficult question to produce a kit is to pay a licenze fee, then you can receive a full CAD data from manufacturer. Thus I've sent a CAD data of Marussia B2 to many companies for producing of a scale or game model.
P.S. I'm working in the Marussia Motors company.

JeremyJon
05-09-2013, 12:18 PM
This is not a kit, but a ready model made from resin.
http://www.looksmartmodels.com/scheda.php?id=849
http://www.looksmartmodels.com/scheda.php?id=853
The most difficult question to produce a kit is to pay a licenze fee, then you can receive a full CAD data from manufacturer. Thus I've sent a CAD data of Marussia B2 to many companies for producing of a scale or game model.
P.S. I'm working in the Marussia Motors company.

quality looks good for 1:43 scale, that's the benefit of digital production processes, not cheap though, and many people forget how much time digital work takes, but true as you say that under a license agreement then often CAD or SLP etc. files can be attained from the manufacturer, making much easier

that's very cool that you work at Marussia
hmm, and I had in mind to build a B2 scale model, maybe not?! LOL :)

Jaimenew
05-11-2013, 09:33 AM
I´m happy. Finally, we will have Mclaren F1 on a kit. (not a resin kit = very expensive)

I hope it's worth.

I'm impatient.

Regards.

stratos75
05-16-2013, 02:39 PM
This is a CAD model. Probably not final, but if this is it, then it has too much imperfections. It looks not bad, though. For most of us it's much better than nothing But as for me, I won't to preorder it. Perhaps I will wait a better model.
http://www.fujimimokei.com/item/files/mclaren_f1_02.jpg
http://www.fujimimokei.com/item/files/mclaren_f1_01.jpg

BVC500
05-16-2013, 02:45 PM
Mikhail, can you point out some of the imperfections?

hirofkd
05-16-2013, 03:56 PM
Arggh, I was hoping the painted sample was a diecast by another company or something.
Right off the bat, the shape of the front wheel arch around the side of the front bumper is inaccurate, and the splitter fin on the side doesn't extend long enough.
That's not difficult to fix, but I've noticed that the engine cover is molded with the rear section of the body, which suggest a strong possibility of a simplified engine detail, which significantly lowers the value of this 4200 yen kit (unless the more complete PE parts are included).
Looks like Aoshima has to release its own road version. I'll still get one or two Fujimi kits, but that won't stop me from buying Aoshima version, if it comes out sometime later.

Fkouch
05-16-2013, 04:27 PM
Arggh, I was hoping the painted sample was a diecast by another company or something.
Right off the bat, the shape of the front wheel arch around the side of the front bumper is inaccurate, and the splitter fin on the side doesn't extend long enough.
That's not difficult to fix, but I've noticed that the engine cover is molded with the rear section of the body, which suggest a strong possibility of a simplified engine detail, which significantly lowers the value of this 4200 yen kit (unless the more complete PE parts are included).
Looks like Aoshima has to release its own road version. I'll still get one or two Fujimi kits, but that won't stop me from buying Aoshima version, if it comes out sometime later.

:( Come on Tamiya... blow us all away with a full detail F1.

(Yes, I know it won't happen. :banghead:)

stratos75
05-16-2013, 05:34 PM
Mikhail, can you point out some of the imperfections?
Please.
http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/9063/14224223.37/0_86681_f6717303_XL.jpg (http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/mikhailpetrenko/view/550529/)

http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/6701/14224223.37/0_86680_7a4f710f_XL.jpg (http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/mikhailpetrenko/view/550528/)

I forgot to say about a wrong shape of the turning light.
http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/9093/14224223.37/0_86683_836c2820_XL.jpg (http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/mikhailpetrenko/view/550531/)

nascar49
05-16-2013, 08:20 PM
Shouldnt we wait tell the kit is out before we rip the kit apart?, I am guessing its still in the development stage right now, so they may get things right

Fkouch
05-17-2013, 08:16 AM
Shouldnt we wait tell the kit is out before we rip the kit apart?, I am guessing its still in the development stage right now, so they may get things right

Well, if things are pointed out now, doesn't that increase the chances of them getting fixed? Kind of how feedback works. ;)

BVC500
05-17-2013, 08:41 AM
Thank you Mikhail! Hopefully Fujimi is listening.

jano11
05-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Well, if things are pointed out now, doesn't that increase the chances of them getting fixed? Kind of how feedback works. ;)

Nope, I don't think that ever worked.
Factor in that the model is due to be in the shops in August and you will see that they barely have the possibility to make those changes.

Anyway, what happened to model builders who were able to make changes to the models they wanted to build? A bit of scratchbuilding or modifying a few details has always been a part of building scale models.

stratos75
05-17-2013, 03:26 PM
I'm agree with jano11. Release date is the 20th of August, and most of moulds probably are ready or close to be finished. There is not enough time to correct them even if Fujimi would be hearing us.
All the same the Fujimi's McLaren F1 looks good enough on the previews. Most likely I will buy one to satisfy curiosity.

MidMazar
05-17-2013, 06:05 PM
:( Come on Tamiya... blow us all away with a full detail F1.

:iagree:

Like the enzo!!!!

freakray
05-17-2013, 06:13 PM
You guys talk about the molds being made as if it takes months to make a mold. It takes hours now. Heck, I work in an industry that uses molds, we had a mold manufacturer damage a mold installing it in one of our machines - they were able to make a new mold and get it to us in 4 days. Since the parts are modeled in CAD and the CAD file is what is used to create the molds, they should be able to fix inconsistencies in days or weeks as opposed to the months it used to take.

Big Kahuna
05-17-2013, 11:11 PM
I think the model looks good. Always a favourite. Will deal with issues if they are still on the production version. As long as it looks like an F1, I will be happy!

Hmmmm, F1 GTR sounds like an exciting prospect!

hirofkd
05-18-2013, 12:22 AM
It takes hours now.
Right. If Fujimi decides to make a change, it's not too late, but there are other factors, like production schedule, vendor agreement, budget etc.
Maybe Fujimi needed some feedback before cutting the first mold.
I did my share by writing to Fujimi about the inaccuracies in Japanese, so they can't use language barrier as an excuse. :iceslolan

Jaimenew
05-31-2013, 08:47 AM
...and the release date is??

CrateCruncher
05-31-2013, 09:55 AM
You guys talk about the molds being made as if it takes months to make a mold. It takes hours now. Heck, I work in an industry that uses molds, we had a mold manufacturer damage a mold installing it in one of our machines - they were able to make a new mold and get it to us in 4 days. Since the parts are modeled in CAD and the CAD file is what is used to create the molds, they should be able to fix inconsistencies in days or weeks as opposed to the months it used to take.

Freakray,

What process is this? Maybe I'm out of date but I still assume permanent hardened steel injection tooling takes months to cut and then heat treat.

Share a link?
Mike

freakray
05-31-2013, 10:08 AM
Freakray,

What process is this? Maybe I'm out of date but I still assume permanent hardened steel injection tooling takes months to cut and then heat treat.

Share a link?
Mike

I don't have a link to share, I am sure you could find more info online.

Most molds nowadays are produced with multi-axis CNC's which are then treated and electro-polished to create the final mold. The molds I am working with are producing thousands of components a day and once the initial design is done are very quick to modify/reproduce. The surface wear on them is so insignificant that a mold can last years if taken care of properly.

I recall the days when molds took a long time to make, that's when a lot was still being done by hand. Technology has long surpassed that.

hirofkd
05-31-2013, 12:06 PM
...and the release date is??
August 20, 2013 (tentative)

CrateCruncher
05-31-2013, 12:22 PM
I don't have a link to share, I am sure you could find more info online.

Most molds nowadays are produced with multi-axis CNC's which are then treated and electro-polished to create the final mold. The molds I am working with are producing thousands of components a day and once the initial design is done are very quick to modify/reproduce. The surface wear on them is so insignificant that a mold can last years if taken care of properly.

I recall the days when molds took a long time to make, that's when a lot was still being done by hand. Technology has long surpassed that.

Yes, everything has been CNC for decades. About five years ago I implemented an automotive headlight designed by our supplier (Hella Lamp). The design only took a month but because of the optical quality clear parts we waited 4 more months for the steel tooling to get cut (with a multi-axis CNC machine) and then hardened.

I guess you are using 7075 aluminum tooling at your company? (You haven't given me much....) If you are saying the McLaren F1 kit will be molded in aluminum I don't think that's possible. The complexity of the mold and the highly polished surfaces of the windshield for example will require hardened steel just like that headlight Hella did (50-60 Rockwell C). Apparently aluminum has come a long way recently in terms of cycles but to my reading still can't meet the picky surface quality expectations of the average Tamiya kit builder. Take a look at the mirror-like surface of any recent Tamiya part tree. That looks to me like hard steel, not aluminum. That said, Tamiya won't allow a camera within a mile of their production floor!

Fkouch
08-07-2013, 07:49 AM
Anyone have any updates on this? Any new pictures?

BVC500
08-07-2013, 08:48 AM
From Fujimi's website: a painted, finished model:

http://www.fujimimokei.com/item/items/4968728125732/

ng_nmda
08-07-2013, 09:51 AM
Looks like Fujimi listened and fixed some of the details on the pre-production model, such as the front wheel arch. But are the rear tires a bit too big?

Still, that won't stop me from getting the kit when it's released.

jano11
08-07-2013, 09:52 AM
Expected release date is 29th of August.

Fkouch
08-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Cheers for the link. But that's another cad model surely? Still hoping for the best though. :)

hirofkd
08-07-2013, 09:50 PM
They did listen! If only the model had engine details. Luckily, Aoshima's McLaren F1 GTR will be detailed, so we'll only suffer until December, hopefully.

>>ng_nmda
Tires are reportedly the most expensive element of model car kits, so manufacturers recycle existing molds all the time. It'd be great if we get accurate tires in every new release, but that's not likely. Another thing is that Fujimi (and Tamiya) tends to take artistic liberties by increasing the wheel size by 1 inch, so the kit might have 18 in, instead of the correct 17 in wheels.

>>Fkouch
Caption says it's a built and painted pre-production model, so it must be plastic. The final molds should be ready because many Japanese business will be closed in the week of Aug 15, so the production must have begun by now, or packaging and shipping preparation can't be finished by Aug 29.

willimo
08-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Excellent look. Yeah McLaren!

Add your comment to this topic!