Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Roof Rack installation 2006 Caravan

JObert
04-27-2013, 08:40 AM
My 2006 Caravan SXT (Shorty) does not have a roof rack or the rails for the rack. Where can I find instructions on installing this equipment on my van? I have a rack that was taken from a salvage yard van that I wish to install. I would like to install without taking down the headliner. Help!

Visited my friendly Dodge dealer today, and found out from them that the roof racks are installed with "# 6 Rivnuts" Dodge sells them for only $4.95 each. They have not installed a rack in recent history, and do not have the instructions for locating the holes for the "Rivnuts". Anybody have a set of instructions on locating and drilling the holes?

jamesslcx
05-15-2013, 03:38 PM
What have you decided JObert. I don't know of an easy way to install a roof rack on your van without rivets or sheet metal screws honestly. Then you would have to worry about leaks later on.

JObert
05-23-2013, 12:17 AM
I found Rivnuts on ebay in the size needed (6mm) at 25 for about $5.90 delivered, and bought the bolts locally. Took measurements off of a couple of dodge minivans and drilled holes after some experimentation on installing rivnuts on scrap metal. Discovered that a second layer of metal was under the skin at the center mounting holes and at the area where the plastic ends mount. We, actually my son who can do anything, mounted each end of the bars that attach to the roof with rivnuts, and used self tapping screws for the balance of the mounting job. "Sealed" ?? everything with silicone caulking. I mounted 4 10' sections of aluminum tower on the rack and drove 440 miles last weekend with the minivan. Nothing came loose or fell off and no water stains on the inside headliner. So far so good!! I tied down the ends of the tower sections so that the wind load would not be pulling against the roof rack, using #12 insulated electrical wiring, to the side mirrors in front, and to the lift gate hinges in the back. The mirrors did not pull off, but I am a little uneasy about using them for tie down points. If any one is interested in how my son installed the rivnuts, post a reply. I would still like to see a set of instructions for installing a Dodge factory roof rack on the minivan. If I had it do do over again, I might just use some large self tapping stainless steel screws for all the connections to the roof of the van. The rivnuts should be somewhat harder to pull out than self tapping screws.

jamesslcx
05-23-2013, 12:25 PM
Good to know, sounds like you guys did a great job.

Add your comment to this topic!