Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2008 lane deparature warning signal

jerry1967
04-27-2013, 08:01 AM
I have a 2008 Lucerne and I keep getting a "lane departure waring signal" reading on my dash. Does anybody know what this means and how I fix it?

aleekat
04-27-2013, 09:55 AM
I have a 2008 Lucerne and I keep getting a "lane departure waring signal" reading on my dash. Does anybody know what this means and how I fix it?

http://cartech.about.com/od/Safety/a/What-Are-Lane-Departure-Warning-Systems.htm

GMCustomerService
04-27-2013, 10:04 AM

Jerry1967,

Here is an explanation of the lane departure warning signal on page 2-44 of the owners manual:
The Lane Departure Warning (LDW) system
does not steer the vehicle and is only an aid to
help you stay in your driving lane. The LDW
system may not:
• Provide you with enough time to avoid a
lane change collision.
• Be loud enough for you to hear the
warning beeps.
• Work properly under bad weather
conditions or if the windshield is not kept
clean.
• Detect lane markings and will not detect
road edges.
• Warn you that your vehicle is crossing a
lane marking if the system does not detect
the lane marking.
LDW will indicate the system is working
whenever it detects either the left or right lane
marking. So if you depart on the side of the
lane that LDW is not detecting, LDW will not
warn you.
If you do not carefully maintain your vehicle
position within the lane, vehicle damage,
injury, or death could occur. Even with LDW,
always keep your attention on the road and
maintain proper vehicle position within the
lane. Always keep the windshield clean and do
not use LDW in bad weather conditions.

Hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Erica Tiffany
GM Customer Service

Impalatech
06-07-2013, 10:35 AM
it needs a new VDAAW (Vehicle Direction Alert Alarm Warning) module. this is the unit located by the rearview mirror on the windshield. we see them fail regularly. it will need to be programmed and have a relearn performed to learn the lane markings in order to function properly after module replacement.

polarzak
07-17-2013, 06:34 AM
Good information. What is with these GM Customer Service people showing up on these auto sites? Useless, and quoting owners manuals.

fullthrottle52
01-02-2014, 04:26 PM
Just brought my Lucern home from the dealer. Needs a new lane departure module. This would be the second one. First one was done under warranty. At $700.00 they can shove this technology where the sun don't shine. Why does GM keep making this crap that does not work. Oh by the way, at the same time have been diagnosed with an oil leak at the valve covers. That is only $585.00 to fix. Another common North Star engine problem. Just out of warranty at 70,000 miles.

polarzak
01-07-2014, 05:42 AM
fullthrottle...my neighbor has so much trouble with the northstar in his Cadillac DTS that he got rid of the car. Some can be reasonably good, so I hope you have one of the better ones. As for gadgets/technology in cars, I stay away from that as much as I can. I know how to drive, and don't need technology to do it properly. In 20 years people will lose all basic driving skills because of technology.

unklray
08-07-2015, 11:40 AM
Go to Amazon and buy the ACDelco 20839067 GM Original Equipment Vehicle Direction Alert Warning Module It is $147.91 with free shipping, best price around. Has camera and control box, replaces the on on the windshield. Reviews said it comes pre calibrated. plug and play.

Blue Bowtie
08-23-2015, 08:59 AM
... In 20 years people will lose all basic driving skills because of technology.

I don't think it will take anywhere near that long.

"Vehicle Direction Alert Alarm Warning module" - We USED TO call that a central nervous system but it was part of the driver equipment package, not the vehicle equipment.

Hornman2
09-11-2015, 05:50 PM
I purchased a new module and installed it as directed; still shows "service lane departure warning". Since this is a genuine GM part, does it have to be programmed by the dealer to work properly? The on-line comments said it was "plug and play" with no programming required.

Add your comment to this topic!