Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1988 Thunderbird 5.0L to customize, or not to customize?

12beav
04-25-2013, 04:15 PM
I'm 19yrs old with an '88 tBird 5.0 lx. The car runs... needs some work. I have no idea what I am actually doing but I know enough to be able to find out what I have to do.

Here's my situation... My uncle and I some years back bought an '88 Thunderbird 5.0L LX as a graduation-ish gift. We bought it from a guy who had it as his daily driver, and then let it sit in a garage for 11yrs. The plan was for us to do a driving/restore on the car. (So basically be able to drive while restoring it). My uncle has since passed, after we rebuilt the old trans. We didn't accomplish much, expect new fuel pump, trans rebuild, replace spark plugs and clean oil.

It currently needs a new header panel and two new front fenders, including a new exhaust system. I have been wanted to do a few things to customize, but wasn't sure if it would be worth it in the long run in terms of how much it would be worth before and after the customization.

I've been wanting to do... new fenders, rebuild the engine (near 200,000 miles) with a few performance up grades, performance exhaust, take off the exterior trim, and shave the door handles. I have also been wanting to do a fully custom interior including a new audio system, throw a computer some where (one of the more least likely ideas that I have bouncing around in my head at the moment), remodel the dash.

OH wait. I wanted to add a possible trans swap from auto to manual. Aside from the obvious manual tranny, clutch, and clutch pedal assembly. What else would I need?

I think that's about it. If you need any elaboration just let me know and I would be glad to. Any help would be gladly apreciated.

97Bird
05-23-2013, 07:24 PM
Hello 12beav, Since you are new to auto repair consider this car a learning experience and don't plan on making any money from it when you sell it! The money you put into it will be your tuition to the school of auto repair. First thing I would do is take it to a shop you trust and have them inspect the car all over to be sure it is solid enough to put more money into. There's no sense putting a lot of money into a car with major structural issues. Rust repair can cost more then the car is worth. They can also tell you what mechanical issues will need to be taken care of. Start with easy repairs and work your way up to more difficult tasks so you don't become overwhelmed. One of your first tasks should be replacing brake lines, solid and flexible, along with wheel cylinders and other worn brake components. Good luck and have fun!

Add your comment to this topic!