Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

O2 Sensor

azharj
04-23-2013, 04:17 PM
Dear All
I have windstar 2000. Check engine light came with code 0156. I had a leaking stearing oil pump, which has been replaced. Before I replaced the pump, I noticed a lot of oil and debris on the Passenger side post catalitic O2 sensor, I tried to clean it with gas. After a few days of my cleaning, the CEL light was Off for a weak but came again. I noticed alot of debris and oil on the sensor again. But this time, cleaning it did not put the CEL off. I have fixed the leaking pump. Now there is no debris or oil on it. Can the O2 sensors be cleaned? If yes then how to clean? Can I try WD 40 or contact cleaner?
Azhar J

tempfixit
04-23-2013, 09:10 PM
Dear All
I have windstar 2000. Check engine light came with code 0156. I had a leaking stearing oil pump, which has been replaced. Before I replaced the pump, I noticed a lot of oil and debris on the Passenger side post catalitic O2 sensor, I tried to clean it with gas. After a few days of my cleaning, the CEL light was Off for a weak but came again. I noticed alot of debris and oil on the sensor again. But this time, cleaning it did not put the CEL off. I have fixed the leaking pump. Now there is no debris or oil on it. Can the O2 sensors be cleaned? If yes then how to clean? Can I try WD 40 or contact cleaner?
Azhar J

Check this out:

http://ericdawson.articlealley.com/cleaning-oxygen-sensor-595932.html

northern piper
04-24-2013, 08:21 AM
my experience with O2 sensors is, if you get them out, there's a pretty good chance that the sensor will be damaged, the threads will be damaged, or both. They sell exhaust sections which have an O2 sensor nut welded to them as the exhaust pipe often is also damaged. So, while I'd love to think that the O2 sensor can be removed, cleaned and reinstalled, I'm betting that this is rarely the case.

After market sensors are pretty good quality-wise now from the ones I've bought and are about 1/3 the cost of OEM or name brand.

I think you should cut your losses and buy a new sensor, make sure the leak is fixed before installing. Also, a thread chaser for the hole to receive the sensor (if you don't replace that section) should also be used. Any small leak of exhaust can lead to problems as well.

azharj
04-29-2013, 02:32 PM
Thanks
The O2 sensor is after the catalyst (catalyst monitor). I think it will not effect muck about the gas comsumption.
Azharj

Add your comment to this topic!