Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Stuck in neutral!

heartisbroke
04-21-2013, 03:53 PM
I was driving my car when it suddenly shifted out of of gear. The indicator remained on drive but the transmission went to neutral. When I move the gear shifter to park it goes to park but when I move it out of park to any other gear the transmission goes into neutral. All other functions of the car work fine. Its a 2003 Ford taurus with 71000 miles.

tempfixit
04-21-2013, 04:06 PM
I was driving my car when it suddenly shifted out of of gear. The indicator remained on drive but the transmission went to neutral. When I move the gear shifter to park it goes to park but when I move it out of park to any other gear the transmission goes into neutral. All other functions of the car work fine. Its a 2003 Ford taurus with 71000 miles.

Which engine Vulcan or Duratec???

With the engine off check your transmission fluid level, should be above full line. (Make note of where it is at) Now start the vehicle and and see what the fluid level is at, if at the same level as when off the splines in the torque conertor are probably stripped and tranny pump is not working.

heartisbroke
04-21-2013, 09:06 PM
Its the Vulcan. And the transmission fluid level drops about an inch after starting it.

tempfixit
04-21-2013, 09:26 PM
Did you hear any kind of noise when this happened??? I assume that when you had it towed the CV axles looked ok??

I would say you need to have the pressures checked.

What does the fluid color look like and does it smell burnt? Last time the fluid and filter was serviced

I am thinking a internal failure, but that is just my opinion and I am far from a expert on these trannies.

heartisbroke
04-23-2013, 02:54 PM
I am thinking some kind of internal failure too... there was no no sound when it popped out of gear (other than the engine revving since my foot was on the gas). The fluid is a normal red color and there is no burnt smell either.

heartisbroke
04-23-2013, 02:57 PM
I just got the car two months ago and i don't know the last time the fluid and filter were serviced. Im not sure what filter you mean.

tempfixit
04-23-2013, 03:51 PM
I just got the car two months ago and i don't know the last time the fluid and filter were serviced. Im not sure what filter you mean.

The filter I mean is the transmission filter.

Have you checked to make sure that either of the CV axles are not broken????

I assume it is the AX4S tranny. I would get the pressure checked, that should tell you alot.

Good luck,

Add your comment to this topic!