Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 Park Ave Base Door Lock Switch

Prof_h
04-21-2013, 09:41 AM
Hi Everyone,
I just purchased a 2002 Park Ave, Base Model, and have to fix the door lock switch on the driver's door. It looks like it was pushed in. It works, but looks terrible. Can anyone help me figure out how to gain access? The car is a "cream puff", one of those I have waited to buy. Low miles, 70K, clean, one owner, serviced locally, a gem.
I'm going to sell my '97 PA, which has served me well, but it's getting a little old and worn. I love PA! My mileage on my '97 PA was over 30mpg on the hwy going 70-75mph. I hope this newer PA does just as well or better.
I've read a lot of issues with the rear air compressor and air shocks, should I be worried? Only read one recall, about the trunk safety pull cord, anyone know if that is it? Any other problems I should be aware of?
Have a great day,
Wendy :)

Tech II
04-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Chances are the retainer for the switch is broken(just plastic)......this might involve removing the door trim, and gluing it from behind, to keep it in place.....I have even seen guys duct tape it in place.....

11 year old car.......best thing to do is have it taken for an oil change.......then while it is up in the air, tell them you want to inspect the underside....bring a flash light......

Rear air shocks were known for leaking oil, especially 11 year old shocks....

Look for potential oil/coolant/tranny leaks in the front of the vehicle.......follow the steel brake lines to the front and rear, looking for a bad rusting condition(usual spot is the rear line that crosses over to the opposite side)....fuel lines I think are plastic....if steel, look for corrosion....

Keep an eye on the coolant level.....known for throttle body and upper plenum gasket leaks(I think by this year the EGR hole and lower intake stove pipe were redesigned).......possible valve cover leaks(oil)........

Also, possible tranny codes, most likely P1811, which was usually the pressure control solenoid....

Prof_h
04-21-2013, 01:23 PM
Thank you for your quick reply and suggestions. I'll take care of things asap.
Wendy

Add your comment to this topic!