Page updated on 11-19-2017

Any detail parts for the 1983 Kenny Roberts YZR500?

Hemi Killer
04-16-2013, 09:23 PM
I just got this kit, Tamiya's Kenny Roberts 1983 YZR500 and I am having trouble finding detail parts and kits specifically for this bike. Does anyone know if they are out there?

If not, what generic parts can I use to detail this kit? Chains, sprockets, etc?

I've never built a bike before, so if you guys could help me out with a list of what I should have I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

iceracer1
04-17-2013, 10:48 AM
as far as I know there isn't any detail kit for this modelkit. So you have to use regular detailing parts from HobbyDesign, MFH, TunerModel or other brands that make 1/12 detail parts like bolts and other parts.

Kris.

Zonic2001
04-17-2013, 03:23 PM
You can also adapt other PE stuff from other bikes to yours. I have used spare PE parts from one bike to supplement another. But since this is your first bike... iceracer is correct. Many PE manufacturers including USA vendors sell PE bolt/rivet heads and full metal bolts/rivets you can use on your moto parts such as engine and/or cowlings. Also, TopStudio and other manufacturers make chains for 1/12 scale motos... you can adapt them to your model. Chains are very difficult to built... I don't do many... too time consuming. I have built about a dozen of bikes and just entered my first contest, won the motorcycle category in addition of best automobile with a bike.... let me know if you have further questions.

This is the good thing about modeling, you can adapt and/or make new pieces for any model. :)

Hemi Killer
04-17-2013, 04:10 PM
I don't want to go crazy, i will consider a PE chain, but I don't know enough about bikes to know how to adapt other PE sets. I will stick with the generic stuff for now.

what I need help with is knowing which rivet/bolt head sets to get. I don't know what sizes I need. Or can you recommend a PE sheet that might work?

Also, do they make generic brake rotors for bikes like they do cars?

I will start hunting. I need to order some Zero paint, so I'll likely get some stuff from HiroBoy

Thanks for your help.

John18d
04-17-2013, 05:16 PM
Hi Hemi killer
Hey just wanted to let you know there is a yzr500 PE kit from crazy modeler - it's actually for the 90's yzr500 but many of the PE is usable for the 80's version
It costs about $50 so I'm not sure you want to spend that much
Hope that helps you
John

Hemi Killer
04-17-2013, 07:36 PM
I want to spend it, but I don't think my wife does. I have some schmoozing to do.

I'll definitely check it out, thank you!

petesy
04-18-2013, 04:10 AM
You might want to take a look at Top Studio's offering as well, they have a lot of upgrade parts for motorcycle.

http://www.topstudiohobby.com/

Hobby Easy's listing seem to be more updated than their official site:

http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/category/CAR/20/1/maker/TOP.html

Zonic2001
04-18-2013, 08:16 AM
I don't want to go crazy, i will consider a PE chain, but I don't know enough about bikes to know how to adapt other PE sets. I will stick with the generic stuff for now.

what I need help with is knowing which rivet/bolt head sets to get. I don't know what sizes I need. Or can you recommend a PE sheet that might work?

Also, do they make generic brake rotors for bikes like they do cars?

I will start hunting. I need to order some Zero paint, so I'll likely get some stuff from HiroBoy

Thanks for your help.

Is HiroBoy still shipping paints? Thought they had stopped shipping out of their country.

RonCla
04-18-2013, 08:29 AM
Is HiroBoy still shipping paints? Thought they had stopped shipping out of their country.

Hiroboys' home page is still saying they will ' soon ' have a world wide shipping option using UPS. Meanwhile, incorrectly placed orders will be instantly cancelled

Hemi Killer
04-18-2013, 06:39 PM
I haven't ordered from them in a while, at least a year or so. I had no troubles getting the product, has something changed?

RonCla
04-18-2013, 08:54 PM
I haven't ordered from them in a while, at least a year or so. I had no troubles getting the product, has something changed?

The Royal Mail got Hiroboy in their sights for mailing potentially dangerous goods

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=460917670648082&set=a.460917653981417.103572.119877814752071&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf

John18d
04-19-2013, 03:34 AM
Hemi killer
Mac at Mac's Modeling was trying to get a distributorship deal with Hiroboy but after many calls and emails to them "Steve" that went unanswered he gave up in frustration
I purchased zero paints last in Aug of 2012 and I received them via Royal Post but it was only paint not thinners or reducers
The postal people from the UK and the USA get ridiculous with labeling small quantities like 30-60 ml ( 1-2 ) ounces of paint as hazardous and flammable
It's no more as a bottle of perfume or cologne and those items aren't restricted
Given the correct circumstance everything except maybe pure water is hazardous and flammable
Hopefully if Hiroboy gets worldwide shipping thru UPS it will be cheaper shipping charges for those of us not in the UK to get the zero paints. The Royal Post to the USA always cost significantly more than the paints
John

Add your comment to this topic!