Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

wiring diagram for 91 Bonniville SSE

essikr
04-16-2013, 04:59 PM
Does anyone have or know where I can find a wiring diagram that shows the security,remote door locks.The remote key fob quit working. If I lock the doors with the door button and shut the door the alarm goes off.The remote buttons won't work.You have to unlock the car ,open the hood and disconnect the battery to stop it.
I replaced the remote keypad and the receiver in the car,reset it and it worked for two days.I reset it again and it worked for an hour. The remote trunk opener would not work only the doors. I can't find a diagram of the wiring for any of this. Thanks,hope you can help.

maxwedge
04-16-2013, 07:25 PM
You could try autozone.com, repair guides.

Tech II
04-16-2013, 08:24 PM
What was the procedure, that you used, to reset it?

essikr
04-17-2013, 08:21 AM
I got the procedure off the internet. I jumped the plug located behind the glove box and held the remote button down for over a minute.The doors locked when I jumped the plug and cycled while I was holding the botton down.Thats when they worked for an hour or more.The last time I tried to reset they did not cycle while I was holding the button down.I thought maybe I wasn't getting good contact at the plug,so I removed the plug and twisted the wires together for another try. Remote still won't work.Is there something I'm missing in the reset procedure?

Tech II
04-17-2013, 09:43 AM
Could be your remote key fob....

essikr
04-17-2013, 11:16 AM
I replaced the remote key fob,that's the one that worked for a few hours. Is there anyway I can disconnect the alarm system.It is a factory installed item.as yet I have been unable to find wiring diagram with the security or the remote lock system included.I just want to be able to lock the car without the alarm going off.

Tech II
04-17-2013, 04:38 PM
Just for ha-ha's, take your remote to the parts department of any GM dealer.....they have a remote keyless entry tester......they place the remote on the tester, and you push each button one at a time......the tester will light and beep, each time a button is pressed.....if it doesn't the remote is no good....

Have you tried manually locking the doors instead of the door lock switch? Try that and see if the alarm goes off, when you close the last door....

If the alarm activates when you use the key to open the door, just put the key in the ignition, and turn the key to "on", that should kill the alarm....

essikr
04-17-2013, 06:21 PM
First let me say thanks for taking an interest in my problem.
Both the original key fob and the one I got later both tested that they were putting out a signal.When you connect the two wires by the glove box the locks cycle.Then when you push the key fob button they cycle again. I think they are supposed to cycle again while your holding the button down if the receiver is programmed. When it did that the remote worked fine no alarms.It just won't stay programmed. Since the trunk remote hasn't worked I can't help thinking it has something to do with the program loss .It does work from the glove box.
As for locking the doors manually,the drivers door manual lock slider is broken.I locked all the other doors manually. When I pushed the driver door lock button the alarm started. Using the key in the ignition will not shut it off nor will it start the car.I had the hood open and the wrench on the battery terminal. I bought this car from the dealer in 1991 ,a dealer I used to be a mechanic for back in the early sixty's.I really like the car but this lock thing is driving me crazy.
Just for giggles the radio quits,if you pull the fuse for the radio and the heater ,AC control and stick the same fuse back in the radio will work again, sometimes for a week or longer. I think this bug is in the radio.

Tech II
04-17-2013, 08:09 PM
You seem to have a few gremlins, that act up at different times....

I would fix the lock slider.......chances are, the only thing wrong is the linkage has come off latch/actuator.....if I remember those door lock switches in the actuator, they can be a problem because they are magnetic.....so if you arm the system, and lock the doors but that magnetic switch is bafungoo, the system thinks the door is open, when it is actually closed, and may set the alarm off....

There are two systems, I think....VTD and CTD.....the first is Passkey....the second works like this, if EVERYTHING WAS WORKING CORRECTLY:

You leave the driver's window down......you lock the doors with the door switch and close the door, or you close the door and lock it with the keyless entry......now because the window is down, this simulates someone breaking the window.....if you reach inside, and either press the unlock button or manually unlock the door, and then open it, the alarm should go off.....this is the CTD system....

By the way, I went to Autozone, and they did not have wiring diagrams for the body systems, just chassis electrical......to get wiring diagrams, you can try large city libraries, or go to a GM dealership, still open, that was formerly a Pontiac dealership......they would have the old Pontiac manuals....

ecartman
04-20-2013, 08:41 PM
Does anyone have or know where I can find a wiring diagram that shows the security,remote door locks.The remote key fob quit working. If I lock the doors with the door button and shut the door the alarm goes off.The remote buttons won't work.You have to unlock the car ,open the hood and disconnect the battery to stop it.
I replaced the remote keypad and the receiver in the car,reset it and it worked for two days.I reset it again and it worked for an hour. The remote trunk opener would not work only the doors. I can't find a diagram of the wiring for any of this. Thanks,hope you can help.

I found these these diagrams for the theft deterrent system. Hope they help.

Tech II
04-20-2013, 09:47 PM
It looks like you can kill the alarm, by removing inline fuse A and inline fuse B.....that way you don't have to disconnect the battery, when the alarm attempts to go off.........

Once the system is "armed", any one of those switches on circuit # 263 will set off the alarm.......unfortunately, the only way to find out which circuit is at fault, is to unsolder joint S277.....then check which circuit is grounded with the component "closed"....for example, when all the doors are physically closed, all the door jamb switches are "open"...however, if a jamb switch is bad, which means it's grounded with the door closed, this grounded circuit to the "armed" module, will cause the alarm to go off....

Since you are having problems with the keyless entry system, that is also one of the inputs on the tamper circuit #263.....

essikr
04-21-2013, 08:40 AM
Thanks so much for this information. I now have something to check the system.
I appreciate the info on disarming the alarm if finding the problem fails. This a great site for getting and giving information.

Add your comment to this topic!