Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Blew my Timing Belt at 33K!

StuSegal
04-16-2013, 10:42 AM
The bad news - last week my '05 Aveo with 33K miles blew the timing belt at highway speed and trashed the engine. (Service interval on the timing belt is 60K.)

The good news - in '06 I bought the GM Extended Warranty, which added 5 yrs onto the original warranty. Chevy dealer took apart the engine, called GM and got approval to replace the engine!!!

So my 7 1/2 yr old Aveo gets a new engine.

I'm posting this for all you folks that think extended warranties are a rip - well, they're not if you plan to keep the car a long time. I agree they make no sense if you plan to keep a car for 3 or 4 yrs, but if you keep it 7 or 8 like I do, then they pay off big time. (Hey, in the last two yrs I got a new radio, new control arms, new catalytic converter, new alarm switches and now a new engine - including roadside service on this most recent incident.)

Cadaverlier
06-02-2013, 12:51 AM
From what I know about the ' flimsiness ' of the cam belt set-up in an Aveo that alone would be reason enough to keep up any kind of extended warranty

drizler
01-17-2014, 11:58 AM
The bad news - last week my '05 Aveo with 33K miles blew the timing belt at highway speed and trashed the engine. (Service interval on the timing belt is 60K.)

The good news - in '06 I bought the GM Extended Warranty, which added 5 yrs onto the original warranty. Chevy dealer took apart the engine, called GM and got approval to replace the engine!!!

So my 7 1/2 yr old Aveo gets a new engine.

I'm posting this for all you folks that think extended warranties are a rip - well, they're not if you plan to keep the car a long time. I agree they make no sense if you plan to keep a car for 3 or 4 yrs, but if you keep it 7 or 8 like I do, then they pay off big time. (Hey, in the last two yrs I got a new radio, new control arms, new catalytic converter, new alarm switches and now a new engine - including roadside service on this most recent incident.)

:Yes it sure is a rip off just like the junk they try to peddle at the stores you go to. In your case though you are one of the few who beat them. Congrats.
Remember future car buyers, most of you trade every 2 years or so so this sort of insurance just isn't worth the paper it's written on. Another thing, you darned better have every interval replacement item like this done on time and documented or they still may well find a way to screw you over. Just sayin, because that's the way insurance :jerking:works

Add your comment to this topic!