explorer sways side to side....

Sp3cops70
04-14-2013, 04:35 PM
2005 explorer. When ever I go anywhere between 35-55 mph the truck sways from side to side. I have to slow down for it to stop doing that. I took it to the mech and said it was the front upper ball joints......

he replaced them today and it is still doing it...good thing is the joints were all messed up so good think I replaced them. It used to also squeak when I went over a bump or uneven pavement...now that is gone. But what could it be? I have been reading online and I think it might be sway bar endlinks?

Also some people mentioned bushings?

Is this dangerous to drive on the freeway...or just keep it at 50-55 mph? thx.

shorod
04-14-2013, 11:12 PM
As a general rule of thumb, if your vehicle is handling strangely and you do not know why, it's not safe to drive on the highway.

I would expect that the tech, when changing the ball joints, would have noticed if the sway bar end links were bad. I also don't think these would cause the vehicle to sway. A bad one could cause noise and/or the vehicle to have more body roll in turns, but would not really have a way to cause a sway.

First thing I'd suggest you check is that the tires are all properly inflated, which means inflated to the pressure on the door sticker, not the pressure on the tire sidewall. If that's fine, then I'd suggest swapping tires from front to rear and see if that changes things.

Do you happen to always notice this sway on the same stretch of road, or is it on any stretch of road when you reach that speed range?

-Rod

Sp3cops70
04-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Well actually any road.....when I reach approx 50-55. A lot of other forums mentioned the sway bar.....? Thx.

Sp3cops70
04-16-2013, 04:16 PM
I'll rotate the tires.

Sp3cops70
06-26-2013, 12:42 AM
It was the sway bar clips. Fixed. Thx.

shorod
06-26-2013, 07:32 AM
Interesting, thanks for the follow-up post. Fortunately that should have been an inexpensive and rather easy repair.

-Rod

95astroman
10-23-2013, 09:08 PM
Interesting, thanks for the follow-up post. Fortunately that should have been an inexpensive and rather easy repair.

-Rod

I just posted a similar problem with me 05 Explorer before reading this one. What are sway bar clips. I've seen sway bar kits that have threaded rods with washers, grommets and nuts. Is this the same as sway bar clips?

Add your comment to this topic!