Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Heater not working suddenly

vmvatbaby
04-13-2013, 11:15 AM
My heater isn't working, just stopped. I checked all possible fuses none blown. 3.4 2005 impala. Any suggestions?

brcidd
04-13-2013, 11:40 AM
Can only assume you mean your blower motor is inop...if so- set it on high speed and give it the whaaaap test. (A firm hit to the side of the case) - if it comes on, it is worn out- and will continue to need to be whaaaaped, to run - usually needs whaaaaped about 1 of ten start-ups. This will buy you time, in order to save up for the new blower motor.

vmvatbaby
04-13-2013, 03:07 PM
Can only assume you mean your blower motor is inop...if so- set it on high speed and give it the whaaaap test. (A firm hit to the side of the case) - if it comes on, it is worn out- and will continue to need to be whaaaaped, to run - usually needs whaaaaped about 1 of ten start-ups. This will buy you time, in order to save up for the new blower motor.

The control knob that controls air direction appears to be working I can hear it trying to change directions but still no blower/fan.

Tech II
04-13-2013, 04:57 PM
If there is no air flow, then the blower motor is not working....as suggested, give the blower motor a love tap to see if it starts working.....if that doesn't work, disconnect the two wire harness to the blower motor(check the harness for burnt contacts.....check the motor housing for burnt contacts)......attach a test light to the harness.....turn on HVAC system and turn fan speed from low to high.....should see test light get progressively brighter....if it does, bad blower motor.....

If it doesn't light, then you have to go back to the blower control module, and test for power, ground, and input from the control head(varying voltage as you change the fan speed)....if ok, bad blower control module.....if no varying input, bad control head.....

vmvatbaby
04-13-2013, 06:00 PM
If there is no air flow, then the blower motor is not working....as suggested, give the blower motor a love tap to see if it starts working.....if that doesn't work, disconnect the two wire harness to the blower motor(check the harness for burnt contacts.....check the motor housing for burnt contacts)......attach a test light to the harness.....turn on HVAC system and turn fan speed from low to high.....should see test light get progressively brighter....if it does, bad blower motor.....

If it doesn't light, then you have to go back to the blower control module, and test for power, ground, and input from the control head(varying voltage as you change the fan speed)....if ok, bad blower control module.....if no varying input, bad control head.....

Before tearing dash apart i tapped the dash fairly hard and it began to emitting a vwry low flow

indyram
04-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Not sure how the blower motor resistors are on the impalas, but it's a pretty common thing on the dodge and Chrysler vans. When they went bad they typically would only have high speed and no air flow on all lower settings. Might be something to check out as well.

Tech II
04-14-2013, 12:02 PM
I don't think they use the traditional resistor block, they use a module for variable speed, as opposed to 5 distinct ranges.....

waterkeeper03
04-16-2013, 04:45 PM
Trying to use mine while the blower motor was bad seemed to load, over heat and fried my Blower Motor Relay. get the new fan now, it's an easy replacement. the blower motor resistor is more expensive than the fan(if you have the 10 speed) and a real pain to get to.

keep bangin on the dash to get it fired up, that cost me $130 instead of just $60 for the fan.

jimbob0077
04-30-2013, 09:04 PM
I have a 97 Lumina with 3.1. My car has the resistor block. But I know yours does not. Yours has a circuit board using pulse modulation. Not having the wiring diagram I would check the owners manual for and check the circuit fuses. Then pull the plug at the motor and meter it to ground for power. If you have power then hot wire the motor. Then maybe relay and or control board.

Add your comment to this topic!