Page updated on 11-18-2017

food dehydrator question

Zonic2001
04-12-2013, 09:28 AM
I just got a NESCO American Harvest Snackmaster dehydrator just like most of you have and same as pictures posted in prior threads. In the pictures posted, I saw that you all cut the bottom of three of the four levels or trays... I did that too. No problem there. But also, I saw pictures showing the gray color plate just under the cover that covers the heating element removed... did you all do that or the units came without it? Mine has a cover on the heating elements with an opening in the center for the fan. Don't know if the reson for the plate removal is to expedite drying time.

The second question I have is related to the fan... did you all disconnected the fan? I'm affraid that the fan will blow dust particles and blow them on top of the fresh paint or clear coat which is the main reason I bought the dehydrator to prevent dust particles from landing on the fresh paint/clear coat in addition to expediting drying time. BTW, I know about the temp not to be above 105 degrees. Got that covered. Can you all give me guidance on how to proceed. Thanks!

F1-Fan
04-12-2013, 10:28 PM
Hi Zonic,

I don't have a dehydrator but I read an article in the "Scale Auto" magazine and the writer mentioned that he used his dehydrator upside down and put it on top of a round air filter, one of those used in cars. Doing that way, he avoids the dust filtering the air.

I hope this helps you.

Regards,

F1-fan

Zonic2001
04-22-2013, 11:00 AM
Hi Zonic,

I don't have a dehydrator but I read an article in the "Scale Auto" magazine and the writer mentioned that he used his dehydrator upside down and put it on top of a round air filter, one of those used in cars. Doing that way, he avoids the dust filtering the air.

I hope this helps you.

Regards,

F1-fan

I just placed a couple of little sponges cutted from big piece that was around the garage, and place them at the intake openings of the air fan and is working perfectly.

CFarias
04-25-2013, 04:45 PM
I have the exact same dehydrator and it has worked flawlessly for almost 16 years.

The gray plate underneath the cover. This protects the model from being exposed directly to the heating element and helps to evenly distribute the hot air within the dehydrator. It does not significantly increase drying time and, without it, could cause uneven drying of the paint or even melt your model.

Keep the fan connected. It is not the heat but the how airflow that dries the model. Do not disconnect it.

I have not had any significant problems with dust. I am using automotive grade paints and 2K clear for my work. These dry fast which prevents a lot of dust buildup. I generally keep my dehydrator in the kitchen, where there is no carpet.

Hope this helps.

Add your comment to this topic!