Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ball joints adjustable or ???

thinmints
04-08-2013, 01:44 AM
So my 96 xj needs a new upper ball joint, and i was just going to replace all of them, i'm of the mindset that you just don't replace 1 part and leave the others with older parts ( especially ball joints). anyway i see that you can buy the ball joints that can be adjusted, is that something i should buy or just stick with the standard issue non adjustable kind:rofl:

gmtech1
04-08-2013, 08:13 AM
The adjustable ones are for caster/camber adjustments. Did you have any alignment issues, like pulling or excessive tire wear? These will allow a more precise alignment to be done. If you didn't have any issues, or you know that your caster/camber settings were ok, you could probably use the OEM style and not worry about it. I guess it's really up to you. If they're similar in price, I would go with the adjustable kind, problem is many "alignment techs" don't know how to use those adjustments.

MagicRat
04-08-2013, 10:33 PM
The caster is adjusted where the lower front control arms bolt to the body.

So this leaves camber as the only normally non-adjustable factor.
However, I have never seen any solid -axle Jeep that needs camber adjustment.

Imho if your Jeep does not show signs of incorrect tire wear, then go for the non-adjustable ball joints.

Adjustable ball joints exist only to correct problems, such as uneven tire wear due to a bent axle, etc. If you have no trouble,its safest not to introduce that adjustment variable into the picture.

Add your comment to this topic!