Page updated on 11-18-2017

Starting my model soon...

avd
04-07-2013, 06:22 PM
Hey guys, this is my first time being on this thread. I used to build model when I was little. Now I'm starting to build more for fun. Trying to find new hobby and now this. I might have few question later on since I seen a lot of people are expert on model. Hope you help me too. :wink:
Here is my picture I going to build:
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o33/viet8boi/IMG_0168.jpg

I'm planning getting transkit of toyota fr-s and r35 later on. Hopefully I start building by end of this month. Just need get tools and paint to get ready!:bananasmi

Hemi Killer
04-07-2013, 09:41 PM
I got back in about 6 years ago in my early 20's. I started with the same Porsche kit you have. It's fun but an get expensive quickly.

Tamiya acrylics are very user freindly, I'd start there.

avd
04-07-2013, 11:21 PM
Yeah, it sure get expensive now. I have to find the cheapest on eBay and get it. I was wondering how does people make wider rims. I saw on tutorial, but I want to try different more easier way. I went home depot find plumber tube, but couldn't find right size. I need to stop by lowes some day.

rallymaster
04-08-2013, 03:19 AM
Yeah, it sure get expensive now. I have to find the cheapest on eBay and get it. I was wondering how does people make wider rims. I saw on tutorial, but I want to try different more easier way. I went home depot find plumber tube, but couldn't find right size. I need to stop by lowes some day.

One possible cheap way to make wider rims is to work with paper rather than with plastic card.
I made my first tries years ago like that when starting modifying models.
(and sometimes still use as a first try before using plastic card)

You simply need long paper strips and basic glue, you wrap the glued paper strips around the rims until you have the desired thickness of rims edges; Once dried it's strong enough to be sanded.
It's way cheaper than plastic card, especially when starting/learning such work.

It's derivated from technics used in schools with young children to build carnival masks, using a reversed plate as a mold :tongue: :rofl: :grinyes:

avd
04-08-2013, 03:50 PM
Oh I never try paper before. Guess I have to try it someday.

Add your comment to this topic!