Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1998 Avalon rough idle at hot intermittently

mscmor
04-01-2013, 08:34 AM
I'm having the some trouble with my 1998 Avalon (70k miles).

Runs really rough only hot, intermittently. Starts to happen after a slow down going from high speed to lower speeds. Once it starts it normally keep happening until the car is shut off for 10 - 15 minutes. Sometimes I can take a 200 mile trip with no trouble, then later on it happens randomly on 5 or 30 mile trips. If it happens it always goes away after a 15 minute off period.

I checked a bunch of vacuum lines on top of the motor for leaks, took the egr valve off and cleaned it and replaced a coolant temp sensor.

I've heard people say maybe the MAF sensor can be dirty. Might try cleaning that next.

Thanks for any feedback, you may have.

jamesslcx
05-27-2013, 04:26 PM
Old post I know but mscmor, have you fixed it yet?

mscmor
05-27-2013, 06:30 PM
Old post I know but mscmor, have you fixed it yet?

Have not fixed it yet. I gave my 77 year old dad an ODBII code reader. It only happened once since March this year.
I'm going to have him pull over in a parking lot when the issue happens, keep the car running, and check for codes real time while the issue is happening as a next step. This one has us confused. I'll post something when the info comes through.

Thanks.

Brian R.
05-27-2013, 10:06 PM
The codes should stay in the ECM memory. You don't need to access the codes real time.

toyotech MDT
06-01-2013, 07:08 PM
Egr valve is sticking

Add your comment to this topic!