Page updated on 11-17-2017

Need some airbrush advice

Hemi Killer
03-29-2013, 03:24 PM
I've posted on this a few times. I had a ton of trouble airbrushing bodies. I broke down and bought a Grex XG airbrush last night. This solved all my problems, but I kind of bought it in a rush. I am now finding out that this is a fixed 0.3mm size needle and can not be changed out. I bought the airbrush specifically for painting bodies and I am worried this will not be big enough.

I did a small test last night and the smaller areas turned out fine, but I'm wondering how long it will take to paint an entire body, and I have to hold the airbrush kind of close.

My other option is to buy the Grex Tritium series which is another $100 that I don't have right now, plus a needle/nozzle set on top of that which is another $30-$40.

What size needles do you guys use when painting bodies and larger parts?

ChicoBR
03-29-2013, 06:07 PM
I use an Iwata HP-TH with 0,5mm needle.

Francisco

lovegt40
03-29-2013, 06:57 PM
I have 2 Ansa harder airbrush. They are 10 yrs old and they have been used with all kinda colors on planet earth.

Quite pricey but a splendid example of what is meant as true german quality:
http://www.germanairbrush.com/

Vric
03-29-2013, 08:14 PM
I use an Iwata HP-C Plus which has a 0.3mm needle, and it works great. Take less than a minute by coat. It take some time to get used, but it work great

hirofkd
03-29-2013, 08:23 PM
I used an airbrush with 0.3 mm nozzle on my recent build, and it didn't cause any problem. I like to apply many layers of thin coat in several sessions, so 0.3 mm works just fine.

Hemi Killer
03-29-2013, 11:47 PM
Well I returned the airbrush and bought the Grex Tritium, which allows for needle changes. It comes with a 0.3mm and I ordered a 0.5mm setup. More than I wanted to spend, but I want the ability to adjust the needles and that is the only model they (Grex) offer that allow needle changes.

Just the little bit I did on a spare body polished out to be the best paint job I have ever done with a fraction of the effort. My body-painting woes are over.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.

nugundam93
04-02-2013, 04:59 PM
wow i'm late for the party.

i'm just using a stock tamiya spraywork basic comp + AB. no problem with painting car bodies.

thijs37
04-03-2013, 02:10 AM
Come on poeple...i have painted and lacquered! 1:1scale Scooter fairings and Motorcycle Tanks with an 0,4 Airbrush....if i can do that, you must be able to paint the body of a modelcar with a 0.3

Hemi Killer
04-03-2013, 06:11 PM
Come on poeple...i have painted and lacquered! 1:1scale Scooter fairings and Motorcycle Tanks with an 0,4 Airbrush....if i can do that, you must be able to paint the body of a modelcar with a 0.3

After I switched to the second Grex that supposedly has the same 0.3mm needle, it seemed much better. I'm not sure if it's the trigger style that I am more comfortable with, but it seems to be working fine now.

lovegt40
04-04-2013, 05:52 AM
I never liked too little and thin airbrush nozzles.
Had once a 0.15 thinking that was the real trick to make small details, as airbrushed signature. It was not.
The trick is to be able to work properly with pressure from compressor,as well as the preparation of paint.
Nowadays my ones are 0.3 and 0.4. No problem also in working with even bigger ones, and no more boring necessity to keep paint 100% pure and thinnered.It also happened to me to airbrush liquid glue...no problems at all.

kevjoh
04-04-2013, 06:14 AM
I use both the .3 and the .5 and really don't find that much difference between the two sizes, both will spray a body OK.
However I do adjust the air pressure depending on what I'm painting, another little trick I do to get a wider spray is unlock the needle and slide it back a fraction then relock it

Add your comment to this topic!