Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

super or turbo

BigBoyB
06-07-2003, 05:04 PM
supercharge or turbo a 96 integra gsr? which is better for the buck and hp gains?

mellowboy
06-07-2003, 06:09 PM
Personally i think turbo is the best way to get the most power out of your gsr. Supercharger is nice but its not all that.

BullShifter
06-07-2003, 10:52 PM
They both have pros/cons. Supercharger is limited to what you can do, turbo is almost unlimited with $$$$$$$.

superbluecivicsi
06-08-2003, 01:18 AM
get the supercharger if ur concerned with daily driving and reliability. get the turbo if u are looking for massive power. i choose the supercharger because i do alot of driving with my car, didnt want all the problems that comes with getting turbo in the long run.

eckoman_pdx
06-08-2003, 04:58 AM
I perfer turbo's....more possiblities, more upgradable, possible to get more power...You can get more power outta a turbo. I just feel turbo's are a better choice to work with cuz of the possiblites for power, upgrades, etc. and if done properly, turbo's are very realiable. and if u get the right turbo, you can run it at 7 psi now, and then turn the boost up later for more power once add bigger injectors and fuel flow, and the engine is built properly to handle it. The greddy kit is a good one for that. the Mitsubishi TD05H-18Gcm2 turbo it uses it rated for over 400 hp. You'll need to add a Blow off vavle, and it'd be smart to get an intercooler (type 31, if u don't mind modifeiying the bumper support, type 24 is taller). It comes with mostly everything else you need though, and is carb exempt (if that matters). In packaged trim with no intercooler, it gives about 225 corrected flywheel hp (7.8 psi). Of course the intercooler will a significant amount of power.

PWMAN
06-08-2003, 03:37 PM
Intercooled Centrifical supercharger - www.procharger.com
This kit is better than most turbo kits. Gives you about 275 HP all stock. Add a header/HFC/and cat-back and it will probably be over 300. And reliable too. Talk about limited? A turbo is more limited compared to this kit. The supercharger is capable of 40 PSI!!! Most turbos are capable of half that, maybe 30 PSI for a good one but takes forever to spool. What now?????

eckoman_pdx
06-08-2003, 09:46 PM
That centfigual supercharger (like Votrex supercharger) is simliar to a Turbo (in how boost is delivered). Like turbochargering, they generates boost in line with engine rpm (though the boost is created though different methods). It (and votrex) will be less harsh on a engine than a roots or twin screw supercharger, just like a turbo will. This is because, again, the boost is generated in line with engine rpm. Even though they claim 70-75% hp increase with intercooler on 8-9% psi with their kit, I personally would be weary of prodcuing much over a 40% hp increase on stock internals, turbo, supercharger, all-motor, nNOS, it doesnt matter. Most books you read on engine performance and building will state that too. If you plan to build up the internals this point is moot. This goes for anything, Turbo or supercharger. I'm still a turbo man, but hey, to each his own. At least now he has a good Turbo kit and charger kit to check out. I still beilive the best rout is to custom build a kit, taking your tie and doing your research to get the proper turbo that best suits your application. Turbos come in all shapes and sizes, each desgined for a particular app. Remember, when is comes to a centifical supercharger like vortex or the procharger, since they create boost in line with engine rpm, there will be some form of "lag", per say. Most reviews on the centifigul chargers I've read, and most ppl that I've talked to that had one, said they feel like an "ungodly Vtec" just kicked in after a certain rpm. This is similar to how a turbo would work. When searching for a turbo, make suree it's in the 70% operating egffiencey island when you look at the graph lay-outs. Both these are not bad opinons though, the cenfitcal superchargers listed above and Turbo's deliever boost in vitrually the same manner...in line with the engines RPM. The place they primily differ is in HOW they create the boost, belt driven, exhaust gas driven, etc. I personally still perfer a good turbocharger to a supercharger anyday, but, to each their own. The amount of boost a Turbo can produce is directly realted to the size of the a/r housing. If you need a bigger boost app...don't cut corners and buy a small housing turbo. Sure, it''ll spool quicer with less lag, but it wont effeienctly produce power at the boost levels. Make sure you get the right turbo...or blower...for your application needs. I wouldnt call either one bad, just differnt. Figure out what and which suits your needs best, and then look for the right kit or put your own kit toghter from there.

BullShifter
06-08-2003, 10:05 PM
That turbo is a centfigual supercharger (like Votrex supercharger),

Turbos are turbos & superchargers are superchargers

a turbo is not a supercharger

eckoman_pdx
06-08-2003, 10:21 PM
Turbos are turbos & superchargers are superchargers a turbo is not a supercharger.

No sh*t...I am not dumb. I was refering to PWMAN's supercharger. I missed typed it, if you'd bother reading the whole post u woulda figured that out. He was sayin that that intercooled centfirigul supercharger is better most turbo's. I ment to say "That Centfigul supercharger is LIKE a turbo. " sorry for the typo. "They (centifulgul superchargers) create Boost in line with engine RPM." This is also how Turbo's produce boost...IN LINE WITH ENGINE RPM. Where Turbo's and Centrifgul supercharger (NOT Roots or twin-screw chargers) differ is HOW the boost is produced...Belt-Driven Turbine, exhaust driven turbine, etc. Maybe I can go back and correct my typo.

BullShifter
06-08-2003, 10:26 PM
There is an edit feature

:comprage1

eckoman_pdx
06-08-2003, 10:26 PM
I corrected the typo...is that better?....geez...don't hound me over one thing. Sure is sounded completly outta context...but you could figure it was a typo since the rest of the post made sense...

eckoman_pdx
06-08-2003, 10:28 PM
I edited it:comprage1 sorry, okay?:bigthumb:

BullShifter
06-08-2003, 10:29 PM
I corrected the typo...is that better?....geez...don't hound me over one thing. Sure is sounded completly outta context...but you could figure it was a typo since the rest of the post made sense... :bigthumb:

PWMAN
06-09-2003, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by eckoman_pdx
Even though they claim 70-75% hp increase with intercooler on 8-9% psi with their kit, I personally would be weary of prodcuing much over a 40% hp increase on stock internals, turbo, supercharger, all-motor,

Every turbo kit I've ever seen give you WAY more than a 40 percent increase. 40 percent is only a 68 HP increase.

super_man_3179
06-09-2003, 09:26 PM
WEll...I would say super for an automatic and turbo for a manual. I think that putting a supercharger on a manual tranmission is a waste just like putting a turbo on an tuomatic is a waste...you can't control RPMS in an auto...and that's what the turbo is a waste in an auto. Superchargers can be dam expensive to like $4000 for a jackson racing.....you can get a complete turbo kit for that!! and twice as much HP on 6 PSi.

eckoman_pdx
06-10-2003, 03:24 AM
Every turbo kit I've ever seen give you WAY more than a 40 percent increase. 40 percent is only a 68 HP increase.

I was taking about a low boost, 7-8psi turbo out of a kit for that, on stock internals, nothing built on the engine. This was comparable to what the superchargers psi's where all listed as, again, on non-build engines. I wasn't talking about a fully-built, bootst to hell turbo. and for a LS, that 68 hp is 200 or so wheel HP, which is EXACTLY what greddy, and the other 7-8psi turbo kits that can be used safely on stock internal engines produce. I know that a good turbo with 15psi, etc, on a built engine, will put out way more.

Add your comment to this topic!