Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 accord not charging

jimmyr44614
03-22-2013, 10:31 AM
not charging. 96 accord 4 cyl not vtech. started car and left home and all was fine. noticed speedo & tach had stopped working, dropped to 0 and thought lights were dimming a little. then heater blower stopped followed by radio going off. lights definitely dimmer. this all took place in a span of less than 10 minutes but the alt light never came on. alt gone or something else going on? all alt wire connections look fine and battery terminal connections were clean and tight. thank you for any input anyone may offer.
belts tight and look good.
update: charged battery, car started easily. continuity check of fuses under the hood found none open, charging at 14.1v. any thoughts please, do not know what / where to check next

somick
03-22-2013, 12:21 PM
Autozone will check your charging system for free.

Good luck,

Sam

65comet
03-22-2013, 01:44 PM
As a start, I suggest following the battery cables to the other ends. The other connections can become loose, corroded, dirty or soaked in a fluid. Any of which can stop the flow of electricity.

jimmyr44614
03-22-2013, 02:55 PM
the info plate says the car was mfg in 4/96 but neither the autozone guy or i could fine a plug for the reader to go into.
the grounds look and feel fine, solid and clean.
could not make it malfunction today after charging the battery!

65comet
03-22-2013, 03:44 PM
There is a HondaAccordForum that has a lot more info and people specific to this car. But it is a bear to search for anything. They have the minimum size for words too large to get a good search. Most people there just use two digits for their years, so if you searched "94 electrical problem" it will only search electrical problem and you get 500 or more hits. If it was my car, I'd throw one of my extra batteries in the trunk and drive it till the problem happens again. My guess would be loose positive connector at the battery and when you grabbed and twisted (or unbolted, cleaned and reattached - whichever you did) it forced it back to make good contact again. I don't know how different the 94 is to 93, but that is one junky post clamping design they have. Very thin metal for the job it has to do.

Add your comment to this topic!