Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'95 Eldo Biarritz

kaskillah
06-07-2003, 03:15 PM
My parents have owned a '95 Eldorado Biarritz since new. Sadly, this car has been a real POS! I'm surprised they kept it for as long as they have. The car has been nothing but trouble for all these years. It barely has 75,000 miles on it. It has had one thing or another go wrong with it. Things would just fall off of this car. Not long ago the transmission had to be rebuilt (at 60K miles). You'd think that the transmission should last longer than that. It has been a real money maker for the dealer's service department. Just recently the water pump started leaking. They were told that by the dealer 2 years ago it needed new motor mounts as well, but my parents decided not to sink anymore money into it. (I've never had to replace motor mounts in anything that I have owned. All my cars with over 100K miles have mounts that are still fine.) This is a car that has been serviced by the dealer at the required service intervals. This car was never abused. (YOU THINK THE DEALER HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THIS CAR FALLING APART?) Wouldn't you think a car that cost nearly $50K would hold up better? No wonder people buy imports! My parents are ready to get rid of this headache once and for all. They're asking me for advice as far as what to recommend them to replace it.
I know they will never buy another Cadillac nor a GM for that matter. I wish Cadillac would listen to their consumers. I personally would not own a Cadillac built after 1964. They put too much technology in their cars these days and they can't seem to make them last long enough anymore. The wrecking yards are full of Cadillacs that are not even 10 years old.

Scott 02
06-12-2003, 09:44 PM
too bad it's a POS

kaskillah
06-18-2003, 03:47 PM
Yes it is. It was a nice car when it was new, but that's to be expected. I've had a few opportunities to drive the car myself. It handled well and had lot's of power. Yes it's too bad because my folks will never buy another GM product ever again.

tdnyc
07-02-2003, 10:50 PM
Do you mean '85 Eldorado Biarritz? Last I knew Cadillac never made a Biarritz in the 90's. Its simple, they just got a bad Caddy. It happens in just about all makers that arent hand made but made by robots. GM has a great, quality line of autos. Before my Grand Prix, I owned a 1995 Grand Am that I bought new. I never had a problem with the car until it reached 213,000 miles. Thats when the head gasket and control arms went. If I replaced them it would have cost me $2,000.00 which just wasnt worth it because of the cars age. But before three weeks ago, I never had a problem with that car. Which most four cylinder cars dont make it past 170,000 miles without problems.So it was one helluva car. All my GM's have been good to me. But like I said, with every manufacturer, there are always those few junkies.

kaskillah
07-03-2003, 11:25 AM
I'm pretty sure. The car has Biarritz emblems on it and that's the way the car came from the dealer. It has all the extras you would expect a Biarritz to have.
You had outstanding luck with your GP. I have two Chevies ('93 Silverado & '99 Tahoe) with over 100,000 miles on them and they still seem to be holding up well. Still, they don't compare with my '85 Benz 300DT that has over 217K miles on it, it still runs like new.

tdnyc
07-03-2003, 01:01 PM
Yea, Cadillac never made a Biarritz in the 90's. It was the Grand Am that was a great car. My Grand Prix is brand new, I've got just under 1,000 miles on it with the three weeks that I've had it. With GM's, I don't believe in luck, there just good, long lasting cars. That is if you treat and maintain them as you should. How much work has your Benz had? I know there great cars and I have always loved them. But has it had any work while or before you owned it?

kaskillah
07-03-2003, 04:58 PM
Only the normal maintenance items plus brakes, tires & shocks. I have all the service records on the car since new. My folks Eldo was also maintained as it was supposed to but it just seems to be falling apart. The Eldo's & Seville's of this year were not known to be very reliable according to many sources.

kaskillah
07-04-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by tdnyc
Yea, Cadillac never made a Biarritz in the 90's. It was the Grand Am that was a great car. My Grand Prix is brand new, I've got just under 1,000 miles on it with the three weeks that I've had it. With GM's, I don't believe in luck, there just good, long lasting cars. That is if you treat and maintain them as you should. How much work has your Benz had? I know there great cars and I have always loved them. But has it had any work while or before you owned it?

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but my eyes still see and I'm not crazy, my folk's '95 Eldo has "Biarritz" badges on it, even on the padded top. It's the way I remember it came from the showroom since I saw the car when they got it. Maybe it was some dealer added stuff. I don't know. It's loaded with every conceivable option, it has a padded top which I don't care for, gold emblems, polished alloy wheels with white walls that also had a gold pinstripe. It was a somewhat classy car. It certainly isn't the regular Eldo nor is it the touring coupe.

tdnyc
07-05-2003, 07:30 AM
It's got to be custom then. Or like you said, maybe it was some dealer added stuff. But I know for a fact there was never a Biarritz produced in the 90's. It has to be a custom package. Does it have the aluminum roof and the landua top? Because I also know all Biarritz's came with that too. Either that or the convertible.

kaskillah
07-05-2003, 10:56 AM
I don't recall a stainless steel roof as there should be, but I know for sure that there is a landau top. I checked Kelly Blue Book and the last year they list the Biarritz option is 1991. So I guess this is some sort of dealer custom.

tdnyc
07-05-2003, 02:59 PM
Yeah your right. I forgot they changed the body style in '92 and then there were no more Biarritz's. But thats really what I meant. My bad.

kaskillah
07-05-2003, 10:47 PM
No problem. It'll be interesting to see what my folks decide on to replace the ailing Eldorado. I don't think that they will consider a new Benz since they don't measure up to Benzes of the past.

93SHOcarguy
11-20-2004, 06:59 PM
I have a 95 GMC Sierra 1500 with 408,000 miles on it and has never had anything major done to it. The engine is still original and runs lika a top and burns no oil. It's a better running vehicle than my wife's 98 Windstar wi 80k. I can understand their frustration with GM, but maybe they just got a bad one.

Add your comment to this topic!