Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Grounded aftermarket wire to Seats Fuse - 93 JGC 4.0L 210000 mi

CoachKarl
03-18-2013, 09:56 AM
Hello Everyone,
My 93 Jeep was having trouble with a locked shift knob. I pulled a new ignition to shifter cable off a wreck, and had it installed in less than 2 hours. But . .
When I went to move the shift knob for the first time, with the ignition on, engine off, I noticed that the ignition key chimes stopped working. The truck would crank, not start. Then I noticed also that my dome light wasn’t on. For the next half hour I searched for the cause, which turns out to have been that the shift lever had mangled an odd multi-strand wire that had been run from the hot side of the Power Seats fuse. This wire terminates behind the spare wheel, and is tied into the trailer wiring. So, I suspect that this is the source of my woes.
Palm sweat increased as I grounded all my fuses (with multimeter):
PDC was fine, Fuse Block (inside) was not fine. I have no power to the following: 1 (Security Lamp),2(Hazards) 3(Brake Light),4 (Ant) ,5 (Int Lights),6&7(Security),8(Clock),13(Locks),14(Horn),25 (Seats), 28( Rear Window Defroster)
All fuses were unbroken, and no bad smell around the block. I don’t know what exactly is broken I would like to investigate further before I start buying/throwing parts at the problem. (PCM comes to mind . . )
Search here has yielded no problem similar to this (So far) Any advice, guide would be appreciated. I’ll post my progress here to the ultimate solution. (Which will certainly include running a properly fused wire from the battery back to the trailer battery . . )

CoachKarl
03-18-2013, 05:33 PM
I took my lunch at the local Pick -n- Pull and had a look at the rear of a fuse block of a '94 Grand Cherokee. My problem is lack of power being fed by a Rd/Yw wire. It's a fatter wire than most (14g?) I'll search your schematics looking for where the other end of that winds up too.

Oh, hey, check it out, Everything that's failing is what should work all the time. Seats, Locks, Int.Lights, Horn, Hazards etc, apparently all being fed by Red Wire/Yellow trace . . So where does that wire tie to?

CoachKarl
03-26-2013, 11:24 AM
Fixed. Problem turned out to be fuse #14 under the hood. (Labeled F14 in my Haynes Manual). Note. The PDC fuses in the owners manual (glove box book) are labeled 1 to 16 from Drivers Side to Passenger Side, while the factory shop manual has them labeled the opposite way. F16 is the leftmost fuse in that diagram (Drivers Side 60 amps) with F14 being the third fuse from the left (Orange - 40 Amps). Back-probing that fuse verified "deadness" and I replaced it. Then the jeep started . . but . . the idiot lights were very dim. My second pass testing the fuses in the fuse block (more slowly and deliberately this time) showed fuse 14 (inside passenger door was throwing 300 ohms, (not 0, almost blown). Replacing that fuse fixed the problem entirely.

Add your comment to this topic!