Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

need help changing rear brake shows

knilive2
03-14-2013, 11:52 PM
I have a 98 cavalier 2.4 twin cam . I've change brake shows in high school. I know how hard it is to get the drum off . This may be different then when i was in school.its rusted plus there's a spring running from one drum to the other. What do i do to get the drum off. I like to do it . My self.please help n what may i run across tricky

gmtech1
03-15-2013, 07:59 AM
I have a 98 cavalier 2.4 twin cam . I've change brake shows in high school. I know how hard it is to get the drum off . This may be different then when i was in school.its rusted plus there's a spring running from one drum to the other. What do i do to get the drum off. I like to do it . My self.please help n what may i run across tricky

If the drums are stuck on, a few good whacks with a hammer will usually free them up. If you are going to replace the brake shoes, do one side at a time so you can reference where and how the springs and other parts are installed. You can purchase brake service tools at most auto parts stores.

Tech II
03-15-2013, 11:42 AM
Whacking with a 3# hammer should do it.......work your way around the drum.....usually a ridge is formed on the inside of the drum, and catches the edge of the shoe as you pull it off....usually pulling and whacking does the job.....if the ridge is really bad, then the access hole in the backing plate may have to be opened, to turn the adjuster to collapse the shoes....

Some access holes have rubber inserts....some have just an outline that you have to knock out, and later fill with a rubber plug....

Blue Bowtie
03-17-2013, 08:16 AM
Be careful about banging on the drum with a large hammer. The cartridge bearing in the hub won't tolerate much of that. If the problem is corrosion, as it usually is in the midwest, alternating heat and penetrating oil can help. If the problem is shoe interference, back off the adjusters.

Add your comment to this topic!