Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 rx-7 coolant alarm

bobbit31
06-07-2003, 02:19 PM
Hopefully someone can give some insight to a problem i'm having w/ my rx-7:

I turn on my car and after about 5 seconds the add coolant alarm blares.
However, the coolant level is full. During the week the alarm would go off after about 1 minute or so. Starting yesterday it went on and stayed on and not only that, after driving it for about 2 miles the temperature guage went higher than normal... i killed it right away (didn't go in the red). I was driving it w/ the a/c blasting so the fans would continuously run and still the "overheat" w/in a few minutes of driving. There is no coolant leaking, no water spitting, my vacuum level reading off my boost guage is normal, my exhaust is normal and nothing seems to be hot in the engine bay.

If i blew a coolant seal wouldn't my exhaust be white and my vacuum pressure low? Any ideas as to what might be going on?

dayna240sx
06-07-2003, 06:08 PM
Check your AST and make sure you dont have an air bubble somewhere.

Are you sure your thermostat is good?

Thats all I can think of right now.

Steel
06-08-2003, 09:19 PM
Hmm. Did you get rid of the stock clutch fan and replace it with electric fans? Cause the stock ones with the shroud work the best believe it or not. Um, yeah make sure your thermostat is working too and theres no bubbles in the system, or blockages. Like Dayna said.

rxtacy
06-09-2003, 02:48 PM
you say that the coolant level is full right? did you make sure to check it before the engine warmed? i had a problem with my coolant alarm too on my '93, and i had a leak. be careful about this problem because the temp gauge is only good if there is enough coolant to take the reading from. otherwise it'll just look normal when really it could be overheating. my only advice would be to replace the coolant and perform air bleeding so that you know you're starting with the correct amount of coolant. then just keep checking it in the morning when the engine is cold and make sure that it's full. hope that helps.

bobbit31
06-17-2003, 08:28 PM
turns out is was that i needed a new radiator and radiator hoses... hopefully it'll last!!! :tongue:

thanks for all your input!

Add your comment to this topic!