Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

series of odd problems leading to one big issue NEED HELP!

hunter4ever12
03-11-2013, 10:39 PM
Well to begin what I have is 92 k1500 5.0L with 230,xxx miles on it. I have replaced many things on it though over time just due to wear and "tune ups". Anyway here are the issues. For a while now it has seemed that the truck is really lacking power and acceleration. I know it has a lot of miles but it is a pretty extreme loss. The thing that doesn't make sense is it changes from day to day, one day it will have a decent amount of get up and go the next it will be gutless. So next problem, it has developed a hard starting issue, it will crank and fire one time then fire immediately after. Then to restart it you have to crank on it for a while and give it a little gas and it will start idle though for a bit then smooth out. The next problem developed was the battery would randomly be dead.some mornings I would go to start it and it would crank others it would have zero juice(personally I believe that to be the battery being worn out as well as the fact that the cca rating on the battery isn't as high as it should be because it was a cheap battery). Lastly tonight my pickup died at a stop light while driving tried to restart it and it would crank fine and almost start or it would start but would be at super low rpm's almost ready to die, then it would die. Tired of to a gas station, went and got a battery and some starting fluid went back and installed the new battery and tried it fired right up and idled fine for probably 5 min. As soon as I shifted it in to drive it died and wouldn't restart gave it some starting fluid and still nothing, could see it spraying fuel as well do determined that the problem is no spark and not fuel related. Went to eat came back, it fired right up and we drove it almost all the way home and it died again in the middle of the street.

My thoughts are either ICM, ignition coil, or ignition pickup. I'm leaning most towards ignition pickup but wanted some ideas or thoughts from everyone on here.

Schurkey
03-12-2013, 02:59 AM
When that was happening to me, the cure was a new distributor main shaft.

The magnets on the shaft get weak, even crack. The signal to the module becomes too weak to trigger a spark.

A fresh main shaft--or a complete new distributor--takes care of this problem.

Of course, it'd be wise to perform some diagnostic work before buying a main shaft.

2000CAYukon
03-13-2013, 04:26 PM
Check the vacuum hose from the TBI to MAP sensor. On my 90 k1500 it cracked causing hard starting and some power loss.

If you decide to replace the main shaft of the dist, it is more cost effective to just get a rebuilt dist (been there, done that).

//2000CAYukon

Add your comment to this topic!