04 Explorer 4.0 A/C intermittent

cjstew4
03-11-2013, 09:42 PM
At 60k mi. A/c works fine then next day won't blow cold on usual settings. Then works fine again for months and probably over a year. Now at 72K mi same problem. Is this a switch or something since I am not hearing the a/c clutch engage? Hopefullly tomorrow it works as it starts up again after a day or two. What could be going bad or is loose? Thanks.

shorod
03-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Does the blower motor work properly? Do you have the manual (knob) climate controls, or the electronic climate controls? Also, please confirm whether or not the A/C clutch is engaging. Does the heat work fine? Do you have access to a manifold gauge set to check the high and low system pressures?

-Rod

cjstew4
03-11-2013, 11:18 PM
Does the blower motor work properly? Do you have the manual (knob) climate controls, or the electronic climate controls? Also, please confirm whether or not the A/C clutch is engaging. Does the heat work fine? Do you have access to a manifold gauge set to check the high and low system pressures?

-Rod

Thanks Rod. I have manual (knob) controls. A/C clutch is not engaging. Heat works fine. No access to manifold gauge. But why would this in the past not work for a day or two then be fine again for many months? This has happened more than once. It seems like some switch or relay, etc is acting up.

shorod
03-12-2013, 07:42 AM
Maybe the pressures change just enough with varying outside temperatures to enable the system to work some days, but not others. Just a thought. You could spend a lot of time shotgunning parts and connectors only to find that the system pressures are not quite where they should be. If you'd like the wiring diagrams for the system so you can make measurements next time it doesn't work, send me a Private Message with the request and an e-mail address for you.

-Rod

cjstew4
03-12-2013, 11:32 AM
Thanks again Rod. Not sure..cool 54 degree morning turned heater on and worked fine as well as rotating knob back to cool air which worked fine as well. When I pushed A/C button, no clicking or slight power draw (which is usually normal) although button light was on. I am going to give it another day or two before I begin checking fuses, etc. and lastly to the mechanic.

Add your comment to this topic!