Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Turn signal lights electrical problems after washing engine bay

ASJT3
03-10-2013, 09:16 PM
Hey guys,

So i sprayed some water on the driver side fender inside the engine bay trying to remove some dirt. Afterwards, a bunch of electrical problems started cropping up:

1. Left blinker also causes right blinker to light up (dimly)
2. Left blinker causes 4x4 floor shifter light and ignition buzzer to also blink in unison.
3. Headlights on causes constant left turn signal (no blink) resulting in loss of left-turn signaling capability when headlights are on.

What's my play? Should i wait a few days hoping for whatever water has made its way into whatever connection to dry out?

Any opinion on whether the water caused permanent damage or simply is shorting some leads together?

Thanks for the help, my experience is limited when it comes to water intrusion into electrical connections.

ASJT3
03-16-2013, 10:43 AM
Solved the problem this morning after getting real familiar with the circuit diagram. Turned out to be a piece of a lamp that had previously been removed that was shorting the brown and LT blue wires in one of the left signal bulb sockets. See the pic below.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9308/shortcircuitlightphoto.jpg

GMC250093
03-21-2013, 06:08 PM
I have a problem, when I press the brake the left turn signal light on the dash lights up but does not flash. When I turn the turn signals on both rear turn signals flash, and neither of them flash when I have the headlights on. Any advice? I thought it was the trailer light connector so I removed that with no luck. I then thought it may be caused by the burnt out reverse light so I replaced all of the rear lights and both the flasher and hazard relays. My next guess is the multifunction switch.

gremlin96
03-22-2013, 03:13 PM
take some wire ground the rear tail lights very good. make sure the ground is good.

Add your comment to this topic!