'84 T/A, No fuel pumping out.

KR575
03-08-2013, 09:32 PM
Hey guys, I have a 1984 Trans Am Recaro Edition with factory 305 CI 5.0 liter High Output L69 Engine. The car sat for a few months without starting it and when I went to start it, it had a low battery so after charging, it wouldn't start. I saw the fuel gauge was showing almost empty so I poured in about six to seven gallons of fresh fuel, and still it would not start. Then I disconnected the fuel line to the carburator, replaced the filter, still no start. I had the same line out and put it in a empty bottle, then cranked the engine a few times, no fuel was pumped, so I replaced the fuel pump with a new one, still no start. A few days ago while researching I found out that some of these L69 Trans Ams equipped with a carburator came with a mechanical fuel pump plus a electrical pusher pump in the fuel tank that produces about 3 psi to prevent percolation. Now I need to troubleshoot a few areas that are left. First, I checked the 10 amp fuse for the electric fuel pump in the fuse block under the driver's dash, it checks out fine.

Now, I have to check the fuel pump relay 20 amp fuse, but I cannot find it (I have an '88 GTA with a 350 5.7 and I see that this fuse is by the battery). So I would be great if some one can shed some light on its location plus which relay is the fuel pump relay by the driver's side firewall (they have ID numbers, and I know the left one is the cooling fan relay) Lastly, if that is not the problem I think I might have a clogged fuel line or strainer at the tank. Your feedback is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

maxwedge
03-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Are you sure you have a elec pump? Also look for any rubber lines back to the tank cracked or chewed thru by varmints. Also there is a " sock" in the tank on the end of the fuel line, could be clogged but not so suddenly it would seem.

KR575
03-21-2013, 02:23 AM
Problem solved, not enough fuel in the tank + high angle of my driveway + high angle of jacked front end of car = no fuel being sucked up by pick up line in the tank. I blew the fuel line from the mechanical fuel pump back to the tank with a small air compressor and all I heard was air blowing in the tank and no air bubbles, so I thought to add four more gallons in addition to the six it already had. So after that, I had to crank the motor three times for about five seconds each pumping the gas pedal and in the third attempt she started right up. The simple solutions sometimes are the right ones to solve these problems, I replaced the mechanical fuel pump without needing it, but the old one had been in use for six years so I just see it as preventive maintenance.

Thanks for your input, I know I have a fuel pusher pump in the tank in addition to the mechanical one on the engine block, but I have never had an issue that makes me believe that it isn't working, so I guess I will test it and replace it if needed, if and when I need to take down the tank in the future.

............. :smile:

j cAT
03-23-2013, 08:21 AM
Problem solved, not enough fuel in the tank + high angle of my driveway + high angle of jacked front end of car = no fuel being sucked up by pick up line in the tank. I blew the fuel line from the mechanical fuel pump back to the tank with a small air compressor and all I heard was air blowing in the tank and no air bubbles, so I thought to add four more gallons in addition to the six it already had. So after that, I had to crank the motor three times for about five seconds each pumping the gas pedal and in the third attempt she started right up. The simple solutions sometimes are the right ones to solve these problems, I replaced the mechanical fuel pump without needing it, but the old one had been in use for six years so I just see it as preventive maintenance.

Thanks for your input, I know I have a fuel pusher pump in the tank in addition to the mechanical one on the engine block, but I have never had an issue that makes me believe that it isn't working, so I guess I will test it and replace it if needed, if and when I need to take down the tank in the future.

............. :smile:

you are so correct that most times it is the simplest things that cause vehicle problems like your issue.

how about keeping the fuel tank filled to the proper level. also if its going to be not run for awhile, fill it up to reduce condensation and the formation of rust/corrosion in the tank.

Add your comment to this topic!