Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Full mechanic check

zRobx71
03-04-2013, 04:35 PM
I have a 1997 Chevy C1500 5.7L V8 2WD P/U and I need to get it checked out completely because of an accident that I had that I wrote in a previous thread. What my questions were was do mechanics do full "look-overs" I guess you can call it and how much do they do it for usually? There are some very obvious problems like the oil pan is a little dented and the airbags have deployed while at the same time I have replaced the transmission, water pump, radiator w/ all new hoses, and exhaust muffler not system. I'm starting to rake in a little cash and I'm going to take this truck on a customization spree so I was wanting to make sure performance was good before I put thousands into it. I recently installed a custom steering wheel too so I'm not worried about getting airbags. My main question is how much will this cost me in estimate? Also does he do truck body inspection as well in estimate?

Schurkey
03-05-2013, 08:22 AM
They "do" whatever you pay them to do.

A vehicle inspection used to cost about one hour's labor at the place I worked. That's probably 1.5 or 2 hours now--vehicles are more complex.

First Guess: You want the body inspected, take it to a body shop. A normal vehicle service place will concentrate only on the mechanical aspect--steering, suspension, engine and brakes.

j cAT
03-05-2013, 10:53 AM
I have a 1997 Chevy C1500 5.7L V8 2WD P/U

I'm going to take this truck on a customization spree so I was wanting to make sure performance was good before I put thousands into it. I recently installed a custom steering wheel too so I'm not worried about getting airbags. My main question is how much will this cost me in estimate? Also does he do truck body inspection as well in estimate?

Now this is my opinion. you do not spend thousands on a vehicle like this that you did severe damage to. just start a small fire and throw your money into it. at least you can cook a hot dog.

zRobx71
03-05-2013, 12:58 PM
That thought has crossed my mind but it would be just like restoring a car...it may not be a classic but it's my first car and it's naive of me to give a shit about it but I do. I can either spend $12,000 on this truck that alreadys has a rebuilt transmission and a new radiator with some other new things or I can buy another used car that I have no idea what's about to give out on it. I understand though....but I just would rather keep this truck and customize it as best I can with the money that I have rather than purchasing another used vehicle.

j cAT
03-05-2013, 02:10 PM
That thought has crossed my mind but it would be just like restoring a car...it may not be a classic but it's my first car and it's naive of me to give a shit about it but I do. I can either spend $12,000 on this truck that alreadys has a rebuilt transmission and a new radiator with some other new things or I can buy another used car that I have no idea what's about to give out on it. I understand though....but I just would rather keep this truck and customize it as best I can with the money that I have rather than purchasing another used vehicle.

this may be hard for you to understand but in other parts of the USA these vehicles are being sold because of the cost to operate. new more fuel efficient trucks are what truck owners are replacing these gas guzzlers with. the new ram 1500 truck 25 mpg as an example with good power .

you have 12,ooo cash get a newer vehicle and fix it up . 2006 is a good year for these type trucks. most likely not in the outback of texas but in the big city you should be able to find a well cared for truck. on the range the vehicle was probably beat .

$12,ooo on what you have is just not good . IMO .

zRobx71
03-05-2013, 10:18 PM
this may be hard for you to understand but in other parts of the USA these vehicles are being sold because of the cost to operate. new more fuel efficient trucks are what truck owners are replacing these gas guzzlers with. the new ram 1500 truck 25 mpg as an example with good power .

you have 12,ooo cash get a newer vehicle and fix it up . 2006 is a good year for these type trucks. most likely not in the outback of texas but in the big city you should be able to find a well cared for truck. on the range the vehicle was probably beat .

$12,ooo on what you have is just not good . IMO .

Well, I like my truck and I want to keep it as long as possible. Gas mileage really isn't something I'm terribly worried about.

Add your comment to this topic!