Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 1500 Transmission shifting issues.

p91842
03-02-2013, 03:51 PM
My friend's 1995 Chevy 1500 just was stuck in a high gear when leaving work and he noticed that his speedometer and tach was not working. This mornining he went to try it and now fine. I believe there is a common problem here. I think i read in the past that there is a service bulletin on this kind of issue. Any help of where to start would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. He said fuse was o.k.

zRobx71
03-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Mine did the same thing but it was after a long drive. It went away and never happened again until the transmission finally gave out on me and I had it rebuilt back in early January for around $1000. I'm not sure what the real problem was except age and mileage. How many miles are on his truck?

jdmccright
03-05-2013, 08:09 AM
Sounds like something in the valve body got stuck preventing a downshift. When was the last time the fluid was replaced?

If the speedo and tach were malfunctioning, it could also be the transmission's speed sensor or the connector. It is rare, but they can fail or the plug connector can become corroded or damaged. The transmission depends on it to determine which gear to select depending on the truck's speed and engine demand (throttle position sensor).

Add your comment to this topic!