Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

screwed tranny / sorting springs

tums
02-25-2013, 02:12 AM
To share some experience,
at 100 tm I had an overhaul of the AX4S, and after another 3000 miles it behaved more or less suddenly erratic like shifting down when coasting, slipping, cycling torque converter clutch and the like.
The usual big fuss in the family but really no alternatives that made sense came up. In the end I made the decision to try to overhaul the tranny myself.

First thing I noticed was a loose screw on the position sensor (to omit that possibilityof slackness I will fill the gaps next to the screw when putting things together).

Taking the tranny apart it looked inside like new - the job done before was obviosuly good. However:

on disassembling I found a screw half-blocking the return line before the filter. That should explain most of the erratic behaviour.
Point is, it is exactly one like on the hydraulic module (torx-type, two there) but I can't find any thread or place where it should be missing. Ideas welcome.

Think about this: for a surplus 10 cent loose screw on a (most probably) functioning tranny we nearly spend money on a new car, which nobody would have liked, as no model is offering that, what the Windy does ….

Nevertheless I have two questions:

In what positions is this type of screw used (I have still no idea how it got there or where it could belong to, that makes me nervous).

And, as I was unaware of the springs of the accumulators, they fell out and now I have to figure which one belongs where. There is a rest of colour, but not enough. Trying to find something what I came up with is this excellent leaflet from ATRA about the AX4S. But nowhere a description about pressure, diameters and so on for the springs to distinguish them from each other.
Has somebody information about the springs and how to sort them out by measuring them?

northern piper
02-25-2013, 08:32 AM
wow, nothing like jumping in and opening up the trans to see what's up! Good on ya!

I too have been suffering some tranny problems. I have been using this site a lot http://www.sonnax.com/product-lines/transmission/parts/filter?filter[make]=2&filter[unit]=193&product_line=trans

if you got that page it has various parts listed but if you click on the part number you're thinking you have, then look at the pdf file under "instructions" you'll get a pretty detailed view of assembly. I think if you do a little reading there you'll likely see which spring belongs were. They also show a very detailed blowup of the AX4S trans which may help too.

Good luck and keep us posted!

12Ounce
02-25-2013, 08:37 AM
Yes, I try to warn everyone about those pre-loaded springs on the servos. Longer screws would have been helpful. I suggest that the screws should be replaced, one-at-a-time, with longer screws as we are removing the servo caps.

I have no good, useful information for you. Those springs and where they exactly go, I do not remember. You are quite brave to tackle such a job anywhere, but especially "over there" where there are few Windstars.

Is there any chance you could get access to a second transmission, one that has not seen any service work ... and is as it came from the factory? If so, you could carefully open/dismantle it and take note of "what goes where".

tums
02-26-2013, 02:45 AM
@12Ounce,
it does not look as bad as on first sight, there is still some color left and with the size it should work out

@piper
I have read some of your posting. I go by the Ford-Manual, which is fine but hundreds of pages. When researching for the springs I found a manual from ATRA, with pics and all, it is a step by step illustrated book - just great and from the layout easier to understand than the Ford Manual, that is why I use this one now.

First result: nothing gets lost in the universe, however small: here is the place where the screw is missing (for whatever reason???)

fy171
02-26-2013, 08:00 AM
ftp://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/ATRA_Transmission_Repair/ATRA-AX4S-Rebuild%20(Ford%20FWD).pdf

tums
02-27-2013, 02:20 AM
@fy
thats it! :)

For the riddle, there is no magic without course:

hungry, tired and listlessly just before dinner I poked around and felt something, which did not ring a bell, but came close to it. Believe me, your fingers are the best instrument you can lay hands on.

On closer inspection, well, look for yourself, first pic. The shaft of the oilpump itself looked perfect, this is, why I did not notice from the beginning (as I already said: it is quite simple to find the cause of a problem once you recognise it is there where you are not looking). Obviously it banged about until that screw fell out - hopefully end of the story (not for the tranny, but diagnosis).

Of course all symptoms can now be explained. Nevertheless I will again take a close look into bits and pieces, not to have missed something!

12Ounce
02-27-2013, 08:24 AM
My broken pump shaft is also worn in the exact location that you show. Lucky for you, you have caught this problem just before the pump shaft snaps in-two. (It eventually breaks at that first groove for the seal-ring.) The pump shaft is available, though pricey!

I'm not sure the bushing is available as a separate part. Good luck!

tums
02-27-2013, 09:20 AM
I am discussing that with a shop here, which is not the cheapest but seems competent and they will see, what they can do about parts. In the worst case bushings of that type should come in standard types, any shop overhauling engines should be able to fit one (costly, of course). So I am somewhat relaxed. Takes time however for delivery.

So, in the end, thanks to the 10 cent screw warning I am lucky to repair in time, before a desaster.
:biggrin:

12Ounce
02-27-2013, 09:47 AM
Yes, once that shaft breaks ... the tow truck must be sent for.

My original transmission, the one with the repaired servos and replaced pump shaft, was eventually replaced on a transmission exchange. I have been using Mobil1 synthetic transmission fluid, changing every 50k miles or so, in the replacement transmission. The replacement transmission now has approx. 150k miles ... and the fluid stays clean. The vehicle has near 360k miles total. I added an auxiliary trans fluid cooler some 40k miles ago.

northern piper
02-27-2013, 10:44 AM
Tums, do you have your transmission out of your van to do this work?

kevink1955
02-27-2013, 08:18 PM
12 Ounce, I assume the trans has to come out to replace the shaft so it's not a regular maintenance item.

I have heard that shaft is just about the only thing that can leave you dead on the side of the road, do you have any photos posted of the broken shaft??

Thanks

Add your comment to this topic!