Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

76 jag with a 350 vette engine

divot91
02-24-2013, 05:25 AM
my boy found a 76 jag xj6 with a 350 vette engine in it and it had a quadrajet 4 bbl on it, no matter what we did we couldnt get it to run smooth or accelerate with out hesitating, so a local mech suggested to change out the carb, we found a holly 4 bbl double pumper 650. holly wouldnt bolt up to intake, so my boy came home with a edelbrock performance intake, very nice! we changed it out and tryed to fire it up and theres a lever hooked up to the accelerator lever that pushes down on a small button right on front of the carb, that started to throw gas out of it like now tomarrow! carb looks like it has been rebuilt, you can see new gaskets, im guessing theres o-rings missing in that small button? any help would put a smile on both our faces, thanks, chris

maxwedge
02-24-2013, 10:36 AM
The carb is loading up, no short cut here it needs an overhaul. or you have excessive fuel pressure which is unlikely.

divot91
03-12-2013, 01:30 PM
this is where it is leaking out all over the place, anyone know what this is?

MagicRat
03-16-2013, 10:25 AM
this is where it is leaking out all over the place, anyone know what this is?
I have about 20 Holley 4bbl carbs of various descriptions. I have Holley tech manuals and have rebuilt many of them , and I have never seen a button exactly like that.

However, there were many minor variations on these carbs for specialized applications. I suggest you get the part numbers off the choke housing and post them here. One of my Holley manuals has an index which might give some helpful information. These numbers will also help you get a rebuild kit and diagrams to help you fix this - assuming it has not been modified in the past.

maxwedge
03-17-2013, 08:59 AM
No matter what fuel level that high is not normal the carb is flooding.

divot91
03-17-2013, 09:46 AM
heres a pic of the numbers

MagicRat
03-18-2013, 12:50 AM
You have a Holley-made carb used on factory 1970-72 Chryslers with the 440.

The linkage and button are fuel-control devices specified by Chrysler for this application. In this case, the device is obviously malfunctioning.They do not appear in any other Holley carb. The standard Holley manually adjustable fuel control devices (such as external float bowl level adjustments) are absent.

I suggest this particular carb is not worth messing with. It's unusual configuration makes tuning a bit difficult and its jetted for a different application. Yes, it IS a variation on a popular Holley carb, with changes made to suit Chrysler.

Theoretically, you can buy and install standard Holley parts for this carb design, that are easy to tune. If you were to do this, I suggest a standard primary float bowl so you can set and adjust the fuel level manually like in most Holley carbs. (You cannot do this on your present carb, which is the source of your problems right now)
I also suggest a metering block installation kit for the secondary side so you can replace the jets for optimal mixture. Right now, there is no easy way to tune the secondaries. You have to change the metering plate, which is tricky and gets expensive.

All these mods take time and money, it may be cheaper and easier to sell it ( there's probably a Mopar fan who would like it) and go for a universal-type Holley carb, designed for the aftermarket . These are easier to rebuild, tune and set up, that a factory-designed carb.

Also, vacuum secondaries are preferable in a universal application, especially with a milder engine and an automatic transmission for street use. Double pumpers are best for the race car and the guy who has the time and money for tuning.

divot91
03-18-2013, 01:51 PM
thanks everybody for all your input, this site never ceases to amaze me with the knowledge

Add your comment to this topic!