Page updated on 12-14-2017

1986 chevy caprice

Caprice1986
02-18-2013, 09:00 PM
hey guys im new to this . this is my first caprice and it is a 1986 chevy caprice. i think my transmission is going out because when it gets to hit 2 gear once it goes into 2 the car tugs and goes.im guessing i need a new transmission but i do not know what kind of trans. my motor my mechanic and a search i did said that it is a 5.0 v8 4bbl and it does have a carberator on it. can you guys help me on this please and thank you

j cAT
02-19-2013, 10:34 AM
hey guys im new to this . this is my first caprice and it is a 1986 chevy caprice. i think my transmission is going out because when it gets to hit 2 gear once it goes into 2 the car tugs and goes.im guessing i need a new transmission but i do not know what kind of trans. my motor my mechanic and a search i did said that it is a 5.0 v8 4bbl and it does have a carburetor on it. can you guys help me on this please and thank you

with a 4speed auto you would have a 700R4 . this is a transmission even new is with issues. the th350 a 3 speed automatic was very strong for a vehicle of this weight and was used at an earlier time.

I would bring to a transmission shop experienced with this old transmission. you could have a even lower quality transmission in it . this would be to 200R4.

GM used a 305 CU engine. this was designed and used as a lower cost replacement to the 5.7L 350 cu engine. the 350 cu is the strongest more reliable power plant .

check the fluid levels when the transmission is warmed up driving it for several miles . make sure its just below the fill mark, being this old you will require a complete rebuild. parts are available to overcome the weak parts GM used to improve reliability . cost will be about $2,ooo.

Blt2Lst
02-19-2013, 01:10 PM
Make sure the TV (throttle valve) cable is adjusted properly. If it is not, it can make the trans not shift properly. do a search for the adjustment procedure. It is not difficult to do and requires no tools to do it.
I would start there.

silicon212
02-19-2013, 10:42 PM
The car may have either a TH700-R4 or a TH200-4R. Look inside the trunk lid - there is a sticker with a bunch of 3 digit alphanumeric codes on it. It will say "Service Parts Identification" on it. Look for M codes - MW9 indicates TH200-4R and MD8 indicates TH700-R4 / 4L60. MX0 is simply 4 speed auto overdrive, which both of these are.

A visual inspection will show a TH200-4R with the presence of a long square/trapezoidal oil pan with two sumps; a TH700-R4 will have a rectangle shaped pan.

silicon212
02-19-2013, 10:53 PM
Here is a procedure (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=624066)to adjust the TV cable.

Caprice1986
03-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Make sure the TV (throttle valve) cable is adjusted properly. If it is not, it can make the trans not shift properly. do a search for the adjustment procedure. It is not difficult to do and requires no tools to do it.
I would start there.

When i drive it after it hits 2 gear and i floor it it does a weird noise like if its gulping sumthing and then it turns off on me

Blt2Lst
03-18-2013, 01:22 PM
When i drive it after it hits 2 gear and i floor it it does a weird noise like if its gulping sumthing and then it turns off on me

Possibly a carburator problem.
When was your last complete tune-up including plugs, wires, fuel filter, pcv valve, breather, air filter, dist cap and rotor?

Start with the basics then make sure the TV cable is adjusted properly using the procedure posted by silicon..

Add your comment to this topic!