Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

help with seal

skynyrd7569
02-17-2013, 11:16 PM
I have a 2003 Envoy XL SLT 4WD with the 5.3L. I have what seems to be a small oil leak coming from what I can tell is a seal located near the oil pan. I removed the skid plate and if you are laying under the vehicle from the front, just to the left of the drain plug there is a seal with from what I can tell is the left front axle running into the oil pan. Can anyone tell what this seal is called? I have not seen any oil under the car or driveway, but I was about 2 1/2 quarts low and noticed a ticking sound from the engine. I also noticed that my oil pressure gauge was maxed at 80 psi (not sure if this is 100% correct since I am also have speedometer issues). I added oil and the ticking problem left, I have cleaned the area in question and left the plate off to monitor after driving. Just trying to get an idea what this is to get some quotes on getting replaced. Thanks

maxwedge
02-18-2013, 08:21 AM
I do not believe that axle seal affects engine oil leakage, especially what you are experiencing.

gmtech1
02-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Max is correct, that seal is for the support bearing on the axle, will not cause eng oil loss. The 5.3 had issues with oil consumtion caused by either the PCV system or sticking piston rings. There is a updated valve cover for the PCV concern.

Add your comment to this topic!