Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mercedes Silver color

TWG3
02-16-2013, 01:43 PM
Hello all
I'm relatively new to auto modeling. Building my second car ever.
I have Revell of Germany's Mercedes SLS and want to paint it silver.
The Testors German Metallic Silver I have has too much metallic flake in it.
Any suggestions on a more realistic silver color for the SLS and Merc's in general? Enamel or Acrylic

Thanks
Tim

Savannah, Ga.

stevenoble
02-16-2013, 01:57 PM
You could always pass the silver you have through some fine mesh (paint filter, stocking etc) and this would remove some of the flake and make it appear finer. Most model paints and in fact auto paint used to paint models has much too large a flake to look realistic..

TWG3
02-16-2013, 02:22 PM
Thanks Steve
I'll give it a try

Tim

wadny
02-16-2013, 09:25 PM
The Testors line of Metallizer paints are very fine-grain metallics in a variety of shades. I've used the aluminum for painting the body of a Sauber C9 race car model, and it turned out great. Shot clear over the top and got a nice, glossy finish. Tamiya has some nice silver shades in their TS line of spray paints as well. Alclad's lacquers should also work.

TWG3
02-16-2013, 10:19 PM
Well Steve
I was going to strain the German Metalic Silver, but when I went to open it, it was more like sludge. And since there are no hobby shops with in 75 miles of Savannah... Well.
But when I sat back and took a look at my 48th scale P-47's a thought came to me... Metalizer!!
Then Wadny replied with trying metalizer.
I found some steel metalizer and shot the SLS with it, and after some slight polishing and a shot of sealer I think it looks ok. I'll gloss clear sometime Sunday.
Let me know what you think

Thanks for your replays

Tim
Savannah, Ga.

TWG3
02-16-2013, 10:24 PM
O yeah...
While I was pondering my problem, FedEx showed up with my Fujimi SLS F1 Saftey Car and Tamiya RedBull RB6.
So I jumped on the Saftey car insted of the Revell.De SLS. :biggrin:

drunken monkey
02-16-2013, 11:50 PM
do you have access to Hycote paints?

They have a Ford Strato Silver in their Double Acrylic range that has a very fine particle. It is in fact, very similar to Tamiya's TS-17 Gloss aluminium in that the finish is more like a flat colour rather than metallic flake suspended in a medium.

I would guess that any other version of Ford Strato Silver would be similar.

TWG3
02-17-2013, 08:13 AM
Hey drunken monkey.
Thank you.
Can't seem to find anyone localy that has Hycote with out ordering it.
I guess I could go to an auto parts store and see what paints thay have.
I do have another SLS and an Audi R8 to paint in same color.

Thanks again.
Tim

stevenoble
02-17-2013, 08:25 AM
It looks pretty good to me with the metalizer paints..

drunken monkey
02-18-2013, 02:57 AM
ok, quite and dirty photo of the Ford Strato Silver.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-2Z3c_LkMY8I/USHroPNrS7I/AAAAAAAABcU/d-1LNtRJQyQ/s750/colour%2520001.JPG

The Porsche is painted with Tamiya Gloss Aluminium and then clear coated.
The other body has a rough coat of the Ford Strato Silver.
You can't really see but it lays down very much like the Gloss Aluminium and it isn't like the usual metallic paints where you can see clear pigment flakes.
If you don't clear this one, it makes a pretty plain metal finish when given a wash but for a car body, you would definitely need a clear on top of it in order to make it shine.

What you can see, is how much lighter/brighter it is compared to the Gloss Aluminium.

As for where to get it, because it is an official Ford car colour, your local automotive supplies should have it.

Jimmy09
02-18-2013, 08:15 PM
Can't seem to find anyone localy that has Hycote with out ordering it.

It doesn't have to be Hycote, according to my mix system (DuPont) it is a
Ford Europe paint code.

If you need help just just ask
Jimmy

Add your comment to this topic!