Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 dash light problem=-

jamesmetairie
02-14-2013, 10:00 PM
base 1998. 190,000 miles.

awhile ago the temp gage light stopped working.

now the center light of the cluster is not working.=-

the speedometer light is not working.

with the headlights on and also with them off i adjusted the dimmer switch and the hvac and clock responded.

would this be the whole cluster needs replacing or service?

anyone have any idea,s such as =-- just maybe rig some very small temporary light just to get by. the needles are orange and will probly glow.

Schurkey
02-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Burnt-out bulbs???

jamesmetairie
02-15-2013, 03:01 PM
i was told the bulbs are built into the cluster circuit board.
the whole cluster needs to be removed and replaced with a rebulit cluster .i,d rather not have to dismantle a million plastic parts of the dash to get to the cluster.

some kind of small blub arrangement on the outside should work.

i,ll keep you guys posted.

Schurkey
02-15-2013, 03:05 PM
i was told the bulbs are built into the cluster circuit board.
the whole cluster needs to be removed and replaced with a rebulit cluster .i,d rather not have to dismantle a million plastic parts of the dash to get to the cluster.
Maybe. That's how my Trailblazer is built. So what? Open the cluster, un-solder the original bulbs, solder in new ones. You don't need a "rebuilt" cluster. I'm familiar with that because I did my Trailblazer cluster about a week ago. Six stepper motors to drive the gauge needles, bulbs, and solder cost me $35 from eBay INCLUDING shipping. The whole job was done in four hours, and that was the first time I'd ever done it. I'd do it again in about half that time.

some kind of small blub arrangement on the outside should work.
That will work poorly and look terrible. There will most likely be a considerable amount of glare from the light reflecting off the plastic lens of the guages. It'll be about the same amount of work as doing the job correctly. Consider how a kludge like that is going to affect the resale value of the car.

rkvons
02-18-2013, 12:30 PM
My '98 Monte Carlo, (2 door Lumina) had burned out bulbs and they were all insert into holder, then insert holder into socket hole and turn 90 degrees. You can buy the bulbs at the auto parts store.

jamesmetairie
02-18-2013, 01:40 PM
several gm dealers around here say the whole circuit board must be replaced and rebuilt.
but napa,etc. sells the l-194 blub ???

rkvons
02-19-2013, 12:37 PM
several gm dealers around here say the whole circuit board must be replaced and rebuilt.
but napa,etc. sells the l-194 blub ???
The bulbs I replaced were not 1-194s. They were shaped just like the 194s, but were about 1/10th the size.

check this out:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-73-Instrument-Panel-Socket-Cluster-3-8-Plug-Lamp-Dash-Light-Bulb-LED-NOS-/271128632704?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1998%7CMake%3AChevrolet%7CModel%3ALumi na&hash=item3f20869d80&vxp=mtr

DeltaP
02-19-2013, 04:14 PM
The bulbs I replaced were not 1-194s. They were shaped just like the 194s, but were about 1/10th the size.

check this out:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-73-Instrument-Panel-Socket-Cluster-3-8-Plug-Lamp-Dash-Light-Bulb-LED-NOS-/271128632704?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1998%7CMake%3AChevrolet%7CModel%3ALumi na&hash=item3f20869d80&vxp=mtr

Probably T-37 bulbs.

jamesmetairie
02-21-2013, 12:55 PM
Probably T-37 bulbs.

i went to the salvage yard and pulled a cluster out of a 1997 lumina with 97,000 miles on the odometer. $33.
broke a million plastic parts all around it.
couldn,t figure how to release the automatic gear shift selector dial cable (column shifter) so i cut it.

the light blubs are many in sockets behind the cluster.
ganranted things are gonna get busted when i pull it outta my car.

will update . thanks guys.

jamesmetairie
03-05-2013, 07:44 PM
pep boys sells a pair of "led" blue lights that stick onto the dash and plug into the cigarette lighter. cost about $14. and works perfect. they,re specially made for this job.
problem solved.

Tech II
03-05-2013, 08:21 PM
Gotta get me one of those......especially having the power cord hanging out of the cigarette lighter...

jamesmetairie
03-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Gotta get me one of those......especially having the power cord hanging out of the cigarette lighter...
it,s actually sharp looking.
btw = the knee knocker part of the dash is slighlty busted away so the cord is not fully exposed. just tucked down inside. and the cord is wrapped around the part inserted into the lighter and i don,t smoke anyway.

Schurkey
03-06-2013, 01:18 PM
it,s actually sharp looking.
btw = the knee knocker part of the dash is slighlty busted away so the cord is not fully exposed. just tucked down inside. and the cord is wrapped around the part inserted into the lighter and i don,t smoke anyway.
Now you're making excuses for not fixing it properly.

Add your comment to this topic!