Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Plenum gasket leaking again!

msmith69oldz
02-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Hello everyone. I have a 99 Grand Prix GT about 138000 miles on it. Did the lower intake gaskets and replaced the plenum with the Dorman replacement about 30,000 miles ago. Yes I replaced the stovepipe for the EGR. After about a year the upper plenum gasket was leaking coolant again so I replaced it again. got about 15,000 miles out of that one.Now the plenum gasket is leaking again. Is there something I am doing wrong? Is there a bigger problem causing this or is it just bad luck? This will be the 3rd plenum gasket in 30,000 miles.I am gonna get the Felpro gasket for the plenum and hope it holds up longer. Car runs like new and seems to be only external coolant leak. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tech II
02-11-2013, 09:00 PM
Did any of the upper plenum bolts come loose?

Light torque and then final torque at 89 inch-pounds? Start in the middle and work your way out?

Never seen problems with new gaskets......

msmith69oldz
02-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Checked the torque on the bolts and they are correct. Not loose but I did give them a little extra turn to make sure. It is still leaking all around the gasket area. I guess I will replace the whole Plenum again since the Dorman plenum has a lifetime warranty and since I have to remove it anyway to replace the gasket but I guess maybe I will try using a Felpro gasket instead of the one that comes with the plenum. Hopefully its just a bad run of luck with crappy gaskets and not something I am overlooking causing this repeatedly gasket failure.

Tech II
02-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Never saw this....let us know how it turns out....

Add your comment to this topic!