Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

06 Durango..TPS or Transmission?

shelzmike
02-09-2013, 11:50 PM
Alright, I will try to make this short. Have a weird issue going that has more than 1 symptom. It would seem the immediate logical answer is pointing to transmission, but here me out here.

2006 Dodge Durango, 130k, 4.7 non-Hemi.

When I first bought it used, I noticed surging in idle and sometimes the transmission would downshift when going up a hill. Additionally, sometimes it would not fully downshift into 1st after a stop until I pressed the accelerator again. In other words, when I pressed on gas, it would downshift slightly roughly then take off and be fine. Took it to a trusted garage, they couldn't find anything at all on any diagnostics and on a hunch I suggested they change the TPS, which they did and it fixed all the problems. That was about 10k miles ago.

Today I was driving slowly in a parking lot and the check engine light came on (which btw, it didnt do in the prior instance just described). I noticed no other symptoms whatsoever so was thinking a sensor of some sort.

Drove about 15 miles at 60 mph with no issues at all. Then suddenly, when going up a hill, it dropped down into 3rd I think and I had to drive about 40 the rest of the way home bc it would not shift out of 3rd.

Got to autoparts store, they ran diagnostics, found a code that suggested the MAP sensor was bad. After I got out of the store and tried to restart, it would not. It was cranking but not turning over (and the weird thing is that it would continue to crank for a couple seconds even after I let off the key, which was weird).

Got a ride, went home to get my tools and came back, changed the MAP sensor and it started right up. Upon starting it was idling initially at about 2000 RPM, then after about 1-2 minutes it dropped back down to 500, which is normal idle. It only used to do this when the TPS was bad before.

Upon driving home, I noticed that now the transmission is in limp mode, not getting out of 2nd. Weird thing is that if I am in Drive and try to go up a hill I cannot go any faster than 25, even if I press the gas more, it just revs but feels like it is out of gear completely, though once I slow down I can feel it pulling again.

I just wonder if this could be the TPS again? I find it very strange that all of this happened at one time to be the transmission itself. Any thoughts?

Mike

shelzmike
02-10-2013, 11:48 PM
FIXED -

Just wanted to come back and give an update - I was a little bit skeptical that it could be another failing TPS within less than a year as well. Moreover, even if it was, I would be led to believe that this might be pointing to something else causing the failures if it was indeed the TPS.

Well, I got in it this morning to drive to the auto parts store to see if there were any codes (even though the check engine light had not come on). When trying to start it, it did the weird thing where it continued cranking after I let off the key. Got it started up the second try and within about 20 seconds, the check engine light came on again. (Probably the only time I was actually glad that it did).

Now, even though the C.E. light came on, the transmission now seemed to be working very well again - super smooth shifting (which is how it has been since I got it last May).

Pulling the codes, I got 7 instances of 2 different codes: P0068 - Manifold Absolute Pressure/Mass Air Flow Sensor - Throttle Position Correlation
and P0123 - Throttle Position Sensor/Accelerator Position Pedal Circuit High Input.

I figured these were related and looking into both codes, guess what? Faulty TPS was a possible cause for both. Autozone had one for less than $30 and I had a strong gut feeling that the TPS could have been the issue again, so I took a shot at it.

10 minutes later, I started it up and now everything is working perfectly! No more codes, idles fine, starts first try, no more high idling on start, and transmission shifts appropriately.

So now the question is why did it fail 2 times in less than a year? Not sure and will probably just let it go; however, IF it happens again sometime soon, I will start investigation an underlying cause at that point in time.

Mike

PICKUP6772
01-19-2014, 09:34 PM
In the future DO NOT use aftermarket sensors. Mopars are VERY sensitive when it comes to sensors. I have an 02 Durango, and found that out the hard way. My place of employment also uses Dodge Caravans for client transport. And a lot of times, I've found factory replacement sensors to be CHEAPER than aftermarket stuff. Yes, I did say cheaper.
MIKE

Add your comment to this topic!