Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Battery Bolts - car won't start

Loungerist
02-04-2013, 05:16 PM
Hello,

I have a 2000 Grand Prix and the side post battery terminal bolts have rusted, stopping the car from getting enough charge to start. I need to replace them, and everything I've read says I should basically be able to just pull them out. But I tried for an hour with some pliers and they're still locked in. Is there some extra step you need with this model of car or something, or am I using the wrong tools? Any help's appreciated.

olopezm
02-04-2013, 08:21 PM
When I replaced the bolts on mine I only pushed with my fingers from the side that makes contact with the battery towards the side with the hex head. Installation is the opposite.

If you think the plastic is too stiff, you might want to drive the car a little so the engine bay heats up and plastic loosens a bit, that should make it easier.

I got replacements form autozone for about $3.

Oscar.

Tech II
02-05-2013, 04:55 PM
Never use pliers......believe they are 8mm hex heads.....

If you can't turn them, chances are they are rusted right into the cables and will probably break off, necessitating a new battery....

Loungerist
02-05-2013, 06:59 PM
If you can't turn them, chances are they are rusted right into the cables and will probably break off, necessitating a new battery....

I can turn them fine, but they feel like they're hitched on something that blocks them from being pushed out. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to try again today.

rkvons
02-06-2013, 01:24 PM
I can turn them fine, but they feel like they're hitched on something that blocks them from being pushed out. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to try again today.
Is this what you are talking about? The silver part is the part you want to replace. It is captured underneath the rubber insulator and will need to be pried out using possibly two small screw drivers. It will push your patience to the limit trying to get it out. You can use a hair dryer to heat it up to make it more pliable, but it will still be tricky. Once you get the bolt out, you can slide the boot completely off of the cable and inspect it to see if it needs to be shined up with a metal brush. Then just reassemble in reverse order with a new bolt from the auto parts store.

olopezm
02-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Is this what you are talking about? The silver part is the part you want to replace. It is captured underneath the rubber insulator and will need to be pried out using possibly two small screw drivers. It will push your patience to the limit trying to get it out. You can use a hair dryer to heat it up to make it more pliable, but it will still be tricky. Once you get the bolt out, you can slide the boot completely off of the cable and inspect it to see if it needs to be shined up with a metal brush. Then just reassemble in reverse order with a new bolt from the auto parts store.

That's exactly what I meant to say in my previous post ;)

Oscar.

Loungerist
02-06-2013, 04:37 PM
Is this what you are talking about? The silver part is the part you want to replace. It is captured underneath the rubber insulator and will need to be pried out using possibly two small screw drivers.

Well I was trying to only take out the bolt itself like in the attached picture. The part that's in the rubber insulator is clean. Do I have to remove the insulator around the whole contact just to take the bolt out?

olopezm
02-06-2013, 04:50 PM
No, the bolt just pops out towards the front of it with some pressure; in fact that's what keeps the rubber insulator in place.

Loungerist
02-06-2013, 05:21 PM
No, the bolt just pops out towards the front of it with some pressure; in fact that's what keeps the rubber insulator in place.

That's what the instructions I read say too. But mine are lodged in pretty good for some reason. I guess I'm going to have to try using a C-clamp or something.

Tech II
02-06-2013, 09:22 PM
Wow, have never seen them come out that hard.....usually at the most all you have to do is pull and twist......as for the contact in the cable, I just peel back the rubber/plastic trim, and apply a whizzer to the metal contact....then cover with dielectric grease....

Loungerist
02-07-2013, 10:04 AM
OK, finally got the corroded one out. I had to take two flathead screwdrivers, dig them deep into the rubber boot and work them around until I was able to pry the bolt out. As hard as it was getting it out, I don't know how I'm going to be able to fit the new one back in. But at least it's progress.

Add your comment to this topic!