Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tamiya spray colour question

Seamus McRae
02-04-2013, 04:27 AM
With the imminent release of Ebbro's Lotus 49, it got me thinking of colours. I have Tamiya's Lotus 25/33 nearly finished & sprayed it with their British Green. In hindsight (with this new Lotus coming) I'm wondering if their Racing Green might not have been a better colour to go with.

Does anyone out there have a definite opinion on which is the better colour to use? I know the green/yellow Lotus' were often referred to as "British Green" but is Tamiya's colour really the way to go?

TIA

drunken monkey
02-04-2013, 05:38 AM
I'd be tempted to say that Racing Green (TS-43) is the more correct colour.
I have it in my head that British Green was made more for the old Mini kit they had.

Incidentally, there never really was one single British Racing Green as the British racing teams each had their own green that they used.
If you have a look at Bentley, Lotus, Vanwall, B.R.M, Jaguar, they all were slightly different. The old Jaguars in particular were in fact a very dark green, so dark that in photos it is easily mistaken for black.

Archibaldi
02-11-2013, 11:05 PM
Mr. Color #6 depicts BRG very close

mattbacon
02-12-2013, 08:18 AM
I'd use the Racing Green -- the pics I've seen of the 49 seem to show it as a slightly brighter, more "green-y" green rather than the darker colour of British Green. Of course, you could always do it in the iconic "Gold Leaf" colours, which Zero Paints does a matched set for...

http://www.hiroboy.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1222

bestest,
M.

Add your comment to this topic!