Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Manual Transmission Issue

dallas121469
02-03-2013, 02:01 PM
2007 V6 Mustang Manual Transmission

I recently got stuck in my drive way due to a p*ss poor plowing job by the plow guy. I had to turn the traction control off and aggresively shift transmission between reverse and 1st to rock the car and spin the tires. I eventually got unstuck but now the transmission doesnt feel right. I thought it was the clutch but the issue seems to occur only shifting from 1st to 2nd. The higher gears all seem relatively fine. There is just a catch between 1st and 2nd now that sometimes causes me to not be able to shift into second gear without forcing the shifter down roughly. Is it possible that I just threw something out of alignment inside the transmission itself? It doesnt make the car undrivable but i get ticked every time i drive it knowing that it was fine before the poor plowing job.

Should I even bother having it looked at? I know transmission repairs are expensive.

Thanks for any help on this matter.

oldblu65
02-03-2013, 07:23 PM
2007 V6 Mustang Manual Transmission

I recently got stuck in my drive way due to a p*ss poor plowing job by the plow guy. I had to turn the traction control off and aggresively shift transmission between reverse and 1st to rock the car and spin the tires. I eventually got unstuck but now the transmission doesnt feel right. I thought it was the clutch but the issue seems to occur only shifting from 1st to 2nd. The higher gears all seem relatively fine. There is just a catch between 1st and 2nd now that sometimes causes me to not be able to shift into second gear without forcing the shifter down roughly. Is it possible that I just threw something out of alignment inside the transmission itself? It doesnt make the car undrivable but i get ticked every time i drive it knowing that it was fine before the poor plowing job.

Should I even bother having it looked at? I know transmission repairs are expensive.

Thanks for any help on this matter.
This is likely caused by the wear and tear on the clutch while trying to free your car from the snow . Modern clutch systems are hydraulic operated and normally self adjust to compensate for wear ? Could be the wear was sufficient to go beyond the usual wear and maybe the self adjustment feature can't compensate for that ? I'd suggest having a qualified garage look at it . If not , the clutch likely will continue to not operate properly and it will accelerate the wear on the clutch disc . This would necessitate replacement in the near future . I wouldn't necessarily dismiss the possibility that the transmission itself could have been damaged as well ? I think that this 2007 Mustang would be worth spending a little money having an SAE certified mechanic look at it and diagnose and repair it before more damage might occur ! Just my $0.02 and good luck !

Add your comment to this topic!