Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Very Noisy Air Box

WhiteRodeo4x4
02-02-2013, 02:40 PM
The air box on my 01 Rodeo almost sounds like there is no filter inside it. I've checked the box and their is a filter. Still when I give it the gas it has a very throaty sound....is this normal or is my air box missing a baffle or something.:banghead:

amigo-2k
02-02-2013, 07:27 PM
A common mod is to remove the elbow that connects the air box to the fender (from the factory it sucks air from the fender....

WhiteRodeo4x4
02-02-2013, 08:10 PM
My air box does go into the fender area but there is no seal around it sort of like a 4inch pipe into a 6 inch hole sounds terrible would like to repipe the inlet to a different area to baffle the noise a bit. Sounds like a 4bbl running without an air cleaner.

WhiteRodeo4x4
04-04-2013, 07:27 PM
My air box does go into the fender area but there is no seal around it sort of like a 4inch pipe into a 6 inch hole sounds terrible would like to repipe the inlet to a different area to baffle the noise a bit. Sounds like a 4bbl running without an air cleaner.
Found out the added noise was because the left Cat Convert was blocked and it caused the air box to be used as a source to get rid of the exhaust. Guess the cat convert forced the exhaust air to back up and when the intake valves opened it mad the exhaust go out that way. :runaround::runaround:

Add your comment to this topic!