Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Body Man Needed!! Door Panel and Light Switch Question

happydog500
01-27-2013, 12:01 AM
I took my door panel off. There is a metal part that connected to the back of the light switch. I can't remember how it went back on. I see a wear mark that kind of lines up with the side of the mettle part, so I put it in that way. How does this go back on? I think this has something to do with the back light of the switch, because now at night, only the parking light switch lights up and not the headlight switch (headlights work, the switch inside the car doesn't light up). I took it to the GM garage and even the master mechanic couldn't figure it out. Here is a picture.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af78/happydog500/LightSwitch2_zpsbdcec7f8.jpg

I also have an extra clip left over. I have know idea where it goes. Here is the clip.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af78/happydog500/Clip2_zps8b0ef9e5.jpg

Now that I try and put the door panel back on, it doesn't fit back right. The top is out. On this picture, the bolt in the middle is out, but even if I have it tight, the top of the panel is out. All the rubber clips that hold the panel on are across the bottom, none are on the top or upper side. What causes this? Here is a picture.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af78/happydog500/DoorPannel_zps2b061887.jpg

Looked all over the GM Service Manual but can't find anything.

Thank you,
Chris.

Tech II
01-27-2013, 09:31 AM
I don't remember how the first thing was oriented......as for the second clip, is that what the 2-10mm bolts go into, that are located under the main switch(power windows).....

As for the door trim, before you push in the christmas tree fasteners, you lift the whole assembly upward and slide it into the groove(holding the lower part outward).....may even have to tap it down into the groove.....then, you push in all the fasteners on the outside edge....

happydog500
01-28-2013, 01:57 AM
I don't remember how the first thing was oriented......as for the second clip, is that what the 2-10mm bolts go into, that are located under the main switch(power windows).....

As for the door trim, before you push in the christmas tree fasteners, you lift the whole assembly upward and slide it into the groove(holding the lower part outward).....may even have to tap it down into the groove.....then, you push in all the fasteners on the outside edge....

Only have one clip. I thought the bolt screwed into the mettle part that sticks out. I believe it had threads. Will check.

Thanks for the information on how to put it on the top. This is what I'm missing. Holy crap!! I have to take this thing off again? I already did it about 5 times (getting real good at it). Kept dropping socket and bolts after I get it on.

I want to get it off and back on so the top isn't off, but I have to wait until I find out how the mettle thing goes on the light switch. Not sure the way I have it is right. If you look close, the wear line doesn't line up perfect. It can't go lower, it is wear it can go. If it is right, it should line up perfect.

My back window didn't work. With the master power strop out, it worked. When I put it back in, it doesn't work.

All this work and wrecking things and, the whole reason I took it off in the first place was to get the side mirror off to epoxy, which I never even got to. With all the stuff breaking, I was afraid to even try. I lost confidence thinking I couldn't get to the bolts way up in there. I still have a duck taped mirror, a broken power strip tab that holds it on, a light switch that doesn't light up, a panel that doesn't fit and a seat that doesn't tilt. Everything was good until I got to close to the espresso stand.

Thank you for the information.
Chris.

P.S. I hate to even ask this, but does anyone know if the light in the light switch is serviceable? The one on the up/down switch on the door doesn't light up on my side ether.

GAnOhio
01-28-2013, 06:26 AM
Only slightly trying to be funny here.... but you could always take off the other side and see how it goes to together. I have done that to see how brakes go together before.
I know it is a pain... good luck.. I don't have any other good advice.

Tech II
01-28-2013, 08:27 AM
Could have a broken wire inside the insulation, that flexes open when moved a certain way.....does this have a lockout switch for the rear windows?

More often than not, where the wire breaks is in the rubber loom between the door and the A-pillar....

I believe there are two 10mm bolts that attach the trim under the master switch.....

happydog500
01-28-2013, 08:34 PM
Only slightly trying to be funny here.... but you could always take off the other side and see how it goes to together. I have done that to see how brakes go together before.
I know it is a pain... good luck.. I don't have any other good advice.

No light switch on the other side. Can't believe the people at GM don't even know how it goes on.

Paid for a Official GM Manual and can't find anything in there ether.

Chris.

enslow
02-04-2013, 12:37 AM
Sorry this is so late, but I couldn't find my photos of my door panel.

1. Remove switch plate. Remove from the front by pushing on an easily breakable plastic tab. Disconnect electrical connectors.

2. Remove bolt under switch assembly.

3. Remove torx (I can't remember if this is necessary)

4. Remove wood trim (I can't remember if this is necessary)

5. Remove hidden bolt from behind reflector or light.

6. Shows location of all the yellow plugs that have to be popped out to remove door panel.

7. Shows door with panel removed. Useful to see electrical connectors.

Taking a shot of the light switch connector is nearly impossible because the panel would be dangling on the wire. You can see the connector on the panel once removed. I didn't have trouble with the switch after reassembling the panel. It is possible the switch or one of the wires has a break in it.

I hope this is useful. Good luck!

happydog500
02-05-2013, 12:01 AM
Thank you for the photos. I can't see if your mettle plate (on the screw on the light switch) is in the same position as what I put mine in?
Any way to get a close up or check my close up and tell me if it's in the same position?

I put my panel on and now my window rattles.

Not supposed to take the brown wood looking strip off, it's glued on. I need to glue mine back on since it broke off like yours.

If you see the "X" printed on your plastic cover, it's just above a white strip of a rubber connector that holds a piece of plastic inside the door. I thought it curved up against the mettle of the door. I can't figure out if I should push it back in or pull it out towards the opening.

Anything you can answer would be good.

Chris.

enslow
02-05-2013, 09:57 AM
Are you referring to the light switches or the seat/window switch assembly? I don't remember much about the light switch because I only disconnected it, not disassembled it.

I have the screwdriver right on the bolt in my picture of the bolt under the seat/window switch assembly.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk HD

happydog500
02-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Are you referring to the light switches or the seat/window switch assembly? I don't remember much about the light switch because I only disconnected it, not disassembled it.

I have the screwdriver right on the bolt in my picture of the bolt under the seat/window switch assembly.

Talking about the mettle plate that attaches to the screw that holds the headlight switch. It's my first picture. I can see that plate in your picture but can't make it out when I blow it up to see.

What about the left over clip? Do you know where that one went to?

My door rattles so bad. Not sure I'll be able to hear the radio very good if I go on the freeway.

Chris.

enslow
02-05-2013, 07:51 PM

Here's about the best I can do. I've rotated the picture and zoomed in to the same zoom as your picture. I've tried to adjust the brightness and contrast a little. It seems as if you have the metal bracket installed correctly, although it looks as if it could rotate. Make sure it's in the same orientation.

enslow
02-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Here's another diagram that may be useful:

happydog500
02-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the pics. Wish I could figure out where the rattling is coming from.

Chris.

enslow
02-05-2013, 08:04 PM
For the missing clip, look to see if the following screws from the image above are secure:

#2, 4, 11 (3 of them) It probably belongs with bolt #11. If you look carefully in my 2nd image with the screwdriver on top of the 10 mm bolt, you will see one of these clips on the metal just below the plastic.

Good luck!

enslow
02-05-2013, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the pics. Wish I could figure out where the rattling is coming from.

Chris.

Can you tell whether the rattling is coming from the top, bottom, front, or rear of the door?

happydog500
02-05-2013, 08:22 PM
Can you tell whether the rattling is coming from the top, bottom, front, or rear of the door?

With the door open, looking at it it, if I had to say, it's coming from the middle, left.
It seems like the window rattles a little also, with it up. There is the plastic (you can see it in the #7 Picture in this thread, connected behind the "X" on the plastic cover). I wonder if I'm supposed to have it pushed in. This way it would be up against the window. It has a bend to it where it goes towards the window. I think we kind of pulled it out towards the door panel.

Chris.

enslow
02-05-2013, 09:07 PM
If it's coming from the middle left, cheek that the 10 mm bolt towards the rear under the seat/window switch assembly is secure. That could be where the missing clip belongs. Also, make sure all the yellow plugs that hold the panel to the door are seated.

Add your comment to this topic!