Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

brake lights ??

Robert69
01-25-2013, 08:36 PM
I have a 98 K1500. The brake lights do not work. The left and right tail lights work as well as the left and right turn signals. The third brake light on the cab also works. Is there a problem with the turn signal switch that may be causing this or is there a simple solution? Please if anyone has had this problem or knows what is wrong and how to fix it please let me know.

Thanks,

Robert

MT-2500
01-26-2013, 08:35 AM
I have a 98 K1500. The brake lights do not work. The left and right tail lights work as well as the left and right turn signals. The third brake light on the cab also works. Is there a problem with the turn signal switch that may be causing this or is there a simple solution? Please if anyone has had this problem or knows what is wrong and how to fix it please let me know.

Thanks,

Robert

Check brake light 12 volt feed into and out of turn signal switch.
If it is going into switch and not out left and right rear turn signal the turn ignal switch is bad.

777stickman
01-26-2013, 09:59 AM
Pickups have a "Stoplamp Relay" in the underhood fuse block. It feeds the power to the turn signal switch for the left & right stop lamps. Also check "STOP" fuse #2 50a in the same place. If these are both good then proceed as MT 2500 says.

Robert69
01-26-2013, 05:10 PM
Thanks MT & 777,

The fuse and relay are working fine . I checked the signal switch and it was the problem. Changed it and all is fine:cool:

MT-2500
01-27-2013, 07:44 AM
Thanks MT & 777,

The fuse and relay are working fine . I checked the signal switch and it was the problem. Changed it and all is fine:cool:

You are welcome.
And thanks for posting back the fix.
Good luck.

Jet Mech
02-26-2013, 01:00 AM
You will want to check the "Mega Fuse" under the hood (engine compartment) and the other fuse locations other than the interior cab fuse box. I have been burned by the simple fix. Convinced it has to be more involved. The schematic for the lighting circuit is the best place to start.

Add your comment to this topic!