Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1994 Rodeo - Dash Lights on

cngcycle
01-25-2013, 07:06 AM
I have a 1994 Rodeo that they can't seem to diagnose what is wrong with it. I love my Rodeo but lately when I start it (and it starts very quickly every day), the gas, battery and brake lights light up and remain on during the 5 mile drive to work. It is an automatic V6. I cannot use the power windows, wipers or the heat/air while these lights are on. Okay, I can use the windows and wipers but they move so slowly.

I have tried to sit and let it warm up thinking they would go out but nothing happens - the lights stay on.

The return trip home from work, the lights usually turn off as I turn into my driveway. I have had the charging system checked and the battery and everything says it is fine and charging just right.

Another odd thing is once in a while when I am on a long drive - Interstate or country roads with no stops - the check engine light pops on. Once I remove my foot from the gas or I stop and let it idle, the light goes out only to come back on when I depress the gas pedal.

Any clues to either issue? Thank you so much for the assistance.

DeltaP
01-25-2013, 03:38 PM
Ya need to find out why the light is on. Need to have it scanned for codes. Take it to Autozone and have them put the scanner on it. Then before they try to sell ya something bring the codes back here. Make sure you get the code numbers and not just descriptions. The reason you don't want them to sell ya something right away is because the problem isn't always a part could be a circuit problem. They're in the parts business.

amigo-2k
01-25-2013, 06:38 PM
The combo of the 3 lights means the electrical system is weak ... clean up your ground points first.

The only way to check an alt is to have it load tested. they can check out just fine under idle.

the check engine light,... get the codes read ... it could be due to a miss fire due to old plugs or an old O2 sensor ... get the codes so you aren't tossing money at things that are not broken ...

Add your comment to this topic!