Page updated on 11-18-2017

Question about Polishing

bikouros
01-23-2013, 10:00 PM
Hello all

I have a question about Polishing. First off I've never done it, but I wanted to ask if it would polish off dust and hair that stuck to the model during the glossing process.(the model in question is the Tamiya MP4/8). Its been completely painted and decaled. I'm willing to try and polish it instead of stripping and repainting. Especially if it can remove the hair and dust. I'm not sure how it got so dirty. It came out of the spray can! How I have no idea....

freakray
01-23-2013, 10:42 PM
Is the dust in the clear coat?

If it is, it's very possible to polish it out, but you have to be EXTREMELY careful.

As for the origin of the dust, it was probably floating in the air and when you spraying, found a nice surface to rest on. I am pretty certain it didn't come from the spray can. One key to spraying is to have a good enviroment in which to spray, that's why a nice spray booth can be a great asset.

Averion
01-24-2013, 06:38 AM
Hi, welcome to the world of auto modelling.

To scare u first, polishing is the ultimate thing in auto modelling. If u screw it up, then almost all the efforts u put in the other parts of the project are put to shame.

Well, fear not. Polishing is about the simplest and most enjoyable task u could ever embark on. U just need the right amount of patience, and the proper techniques.

U need proper sand paper. Tamiya 2000 grid is a good choice, but u'll use quite abit of sandpaper, if cost is a problem, normal grid 2000 with water works well.

Tip! If you are not sure, always apply thicker coats of clear so as to avoid the possibility of polishing through the clear and seeing color pigments(or decal scraps) on your polishing cloth.

Try using the sandpaper on to a flat side of the body, what do you see? If u see an uneven texture, chances are you've gotten orange peel and need to sand deeper, sand with water(it will be more forgiving for the clear coat and give better result)until the surface is all blurry, you could test with you fingernail on the surface, it should feel abit like glass surface, but not yet.

Next use a normal compound, like tamiya normal polishing compound, and polish the parts you have sanded, use a drop of water to help polishing easier. After which, use finishing compound(tamiya polishing compound white color) to polish it again, this time round, sometimes u could hear screeching, because the surface is very smooth.

You should see a mirror like surface, use your ceiling lights to test the smoothness of the gloss.

Top it off with some modelling wax and u would be a very happy modeler!

bikouros
01-24-2013, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the tips. I think I will give it a try. It will save me a lot of work if I manage to do it right! Thanks!

Kjenjak
01-25-2013, 06:56 AM
This may not help you with your current problem, but for future project, you might want to avoid static electrification in your plastic model. When you rub it, sand it etc. or you're static yourself, the wet plastic body will attract dust particles and even hair like a magnet. I know that from bad experience. :(
You can test this with a small piece of paper. It the model you want to paint or clear cote can lift the piece of paper and it sticks to it, don't continue painting! Remove the static first.

corvettekid_7684
01-25-2013, 11:48 PM
Also, keep a tack cloth handy. When you are spraying, keep a close eye out for dust, hair, etc. If you see anything then stop! Let it dry a bit and see if the tack cloth will remove it before proceeding

Marianitem
01-26-2013, 11:12 AM
@ Kjenjak:
How can I remove static from my model? I usually rub my hands with detergent, wash the body with that, the rinse in water, dry with a towel (w/o rubbing). But some models work well, and some models get full of dust right after I dry them (but I mean immediately).
Any tips for this? Thanks

freakray
01-26-2013, 11:36 AM
Rubbing alcohol, get a lint free cloth and 70-90% rubbing alcohol, wet the cloth with alcohol and gently wipe the model.

It will help you knock the static off the model.

Kjenjak
02-04-2013, 05:17 AM
@ Kjenjak:
How can I remove static from my model? I usually rub my hands with detergent, wash the body with that, the rinse in water, dry with a towel (w/o rubbing). But some models work well, and some models get full of dust right after I dry them (but I mean immediately).
Any tips for this? Thanks

Hmm, I clean the body with some detergent under running water, then dry it with a towel and rub it with an antistatic cloth. That normally does the job, and the paper sheets don't stick to the body anymore.
But it sounds a lot like you seem to do it...

Add your comment to this topic!