Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2005 Accord EX stuck in Park

Pawl
01-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Southern Calif 137,000mi - My daughter could not get transmission to come out of park a couple of weeks ago. She used the release slot next to the shifter to unlock it. I brought her car home and just replaced the brake switch thinking it was just bad. I did not check the old brake switch. This morning I found it stuck it park and used the release slot again. I went online and found some people talking about the chrome button on the shifter wearing out on the inside and the plastic basically crumbling apart from age/use. I took mine apart and it appears to be intact. Maybe it looks intact but after 137,000 miles it might be worn out.I tested the brake lights and they work fine so I am guessing no fuses are blown that might play into this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Greenblurr93
01-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Since the linkage still works, that pretty much narrows in down to the lock itself. I would say the button is either worn, or a component that releases the lock from depressing the brake is bad. there should be some sort of solenoid that physically releases the pin. I would check that and see if its not releasing

Pawl
01-22-2013, 02:42 PM
I was taking another look at the black knob on the shifter that holds the chrome push release knob and a couple of broken black pieces of plastic from the inside of the black knob fell out on my lap. Hopefully this is the problem and not something I did this morning in my investigating. I actually had ordered new parts from majestic honda this morning because it was cheap and I was rolling the dice thinking after 137,000 miles this black plastic knob was in a no win battle with the metal portion of the shifter. Maybe I got lucky. Thanks again! Will post later with results.

Add your comment to this topic!